• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Charger ac/heater push button control switch

Ray70Chrg

Local time
6:31 AM
Reaction score
I'm towards the end of restoring the ac/heater system. Just wrapping up the control switch and had to replace to wafers inside the assy. It's been a very long time since I used the controls on a properly working unit. After assembling the unit it seems that there is only about 3/16" to a 1/4" movement in the slides. Is this the normal amount of movement?
CIMG1457.JPG
CIMG1459.JPG

All the ones I've rebuilt have that amount of play. Some more, some less.

Hey Vfilms, thanks for replying. I was beginning to think that nobody liked me. lol. I don't know if you have ever opened one of those switch casing but what you find in there is completely unexpected. If you haven't, but need to, contact me before you do. I'll save you a lot hassle.

Last edited:
Hey Vfilms, thanks for replying. I was beginning to think that nobody liked me. lol. I don't know if you have ever opened one of those switch casing but what you find in there is completely unexpected. If you haven't, but need to, contact me before you do. I'll save you a lot hassle.
You may want to see my post ‘66 ‘67 heater a/c controller rebuild
I think you’ll understand as a fellow sufferer.

You said you have fixed a few of these in the past. I pulled mine apart in early Dec. just to inspect it, never having done this before. Over the last year and a half I've been redoing the entire ac/heater system that I took out of the car 5 years ago. When I opened the control switch the wafers fell out and I noticed one corner of one was ripped off. As it turned out where the rip started was where one of the tabs were. So I started out not knowing there were 2 tabs and what the hell these cardboard wafers did or how they went back together. I knew I could replace the entire switch but it annoyed me to spend $129 + for a piece of cardboard. Long story short, I found the replacement wafers in CI for $12 along with the cardboard shield for the lights and the peel off stickers for the push levers. Having been an electronics tech in my career I figured out how everything worked and how the wafers would slide side to side as you pushed the levers. I searched all the forums but there was nothing really helpful there. Could have used your thread 2 months ago but at least there's your thread now. Thanks again for replying.

You said you have fixed a few of these in the past. I pulled mine apart in early Dec. just to inspect it, never having done this before. Over the last year and a half I've been redoing the entire ac/heater system that I took out of the car 5 years ago. When I opened the control switch the wafers fell out and I noticed one corner of one was ripped off. As it turned out where the rip started was where one of the tabs were. So I started out not knowing there were 2 tabs and what the hell these cardboard wafers did or how they went back together. I knew I could replace the entire switch but it annoyed me to spend $129 + for a piece of cardboard. Long story short, I found the replacement wafers in CI for $12 along with the cardboard shield for the lights and the peel off stickers for the push levers. Having been an electronics tech in my career I figured out how everything worked and how the wafers would slide side to side as you pushed the levers. I searched all the forums but there was nothing really helpful there. Could have used your thread 2 months ago but at least there's your thread now. Thanks again for replying.
They say fools rush in where wisemen fear to tread. What does that make us. Taking these things apart is scary at first but can be logically investigated. ‘66 & ‘67 are different than the ‘68 and newer as the wafers are different as are all the electrics inside. I bought a ‘68 switch to dissect and found the differences.
Congrats on your intrepidness.

Who is CI, looking for cardboard shield

Auto Transport Service
Back