• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Charger HVAC questions....

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:03 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I finally got the fan to spin for my heater/A-C system after replacing the vacuum switch. Strange thing is, the fan only blows in the A/C and Max A/C settings. The fan stops when I press either the Heat or Defroster buttons. The heater box has never been out of the car but the dash side vacuum lines look fine. I replaced the vacuum lines on the engine side but with no clear listing anywhere of the correct route, I just did what I thought made sense.
From a manifold vacuum port on the carburetor, I ran a line to the small vacuum can. Halfway to the can, the line has a T that allows a separate line pass through the firewall. On the vacuum can, the other nipple has a line that also runs through the firewall with a T that has a line going to a thermo valve on the firewall.
I am totally new to these vacuum/electric type heater systems. I'm confused as to why the fan only works on the A/C function.
Any helpful guidance out there? YouTube was no help!

Attachments

• HVAC keys 2015.jpg
    HVAC keys 2015.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 206
index.jpgYou don't have a vacuum problem, it's electrical. Did you use a new switch?

Yes I did. The old one had really stiff buttons. The "new" one was at least 14 years old though, still in the box from when I bought it in 2001.

Auto Transport Service
Back