• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Dual Snorkel Lid Question

king nicky

Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
Hi
In the process of aquiring a breather assembly, i notice the center where threaded rod comes up is raised, on others it seems not, would either be correct to a 70 charger 383 4v?
See pics, thank you.

breather.j2.jpg breather.jpg

Wonder if the "pie-tin" sits correctly?

I've had a bunch of these and have never seen a lid with that raised center. Agree that the tin won't sit right.

My '70 Charger is a 383 4v (XP29N0G) with the dual snorkel air cleaner housing. The lid on mine is like your top picture. Sadly, my black crinkle finish is peeling. See below:
IMG_20181125_213820845.jpg

I had an air cleaner once that had a lid with the center bubbled in it like on the right. It was on a car with the lid flipped upside down and screwed down with one of those "washered" wingnuts. That is somewhat the result of doing that...

I had an air cleaner once that had a lid with the center bubbled in it like on the right. It was on a car with the lid flipped upside down and screwed down with one of those "washered" wingnuts. That is somewhat the result of doing that...
Thanks, I never thought of that, having done that trick of flipping lids myself, I think youre absolutely right.

with the lid flipped upside down
having done that trick of flipping lids myself
Good for 20 Horsepower!! :p :poke: :D
We did that too, especially with my friends' GM and Ford products...
The Dual Snorkel Mopar air cleaner housings didn't "need" that "performance enhancer"...
(Sure sounded cool!)
Actually reducing the headroom above the carburetor may have hurt flow...
(Sure sounded cool!) :D

Auto Transport Service
Back