• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 GTX rear defroster

Mark Pifer

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:36 AM
Reaction score
Hello, I would like to install a rear window defroster in my 1970 GTX.
1. Does anyone have this option on their GTX or Roadrunner?
2. If you do where is the defroster on/off switch located.
3. Do you have a photo or diagram showing the switch location on dash board and blower unit under deck in trunk?
4. Would you have the part numbers needed to do a complete install of the defroster unit?
Thank you for anything you can share.
Regards,
Mark

Mark,
I have this option installed on my RS23V0A******. The on/off switch is immediately to the right of the heat/defrost control system and recrives its power from the same source as the heater fan. A better solution may be to have the rear fan operate when the heater fan receives power, for total air movement. The center of the rear parcel shelf is where the outlet located to blow air directly on the rear window. The system air inlet is located to the right side of the the rear parcel shelf and the inlet looks like a rear seat speaker, ~ a 6" x 12" opening. A short piece of flexible (1-1/2" diameter x ~12" long) defroster fuct hose connects the fan's outlet to the defroster distribution nozzle. The system just recirculates interrior air to the rear window.....there isn't any heat source involved.....just re-circulated air. How good is the system ??.....its OK....marginally better than nothing. No pix...The car is in storage for the winter. Hope this helps......
BOB RENTON

Mark,the switch for the rear defogger goes to the left of the heater control not the right.I have a template here.(somewhere) if you need.Let me know by PM if you do. John

Apologies for the late pic, just went to the car in storage, here’s the switch locations
510FA6F3-70A0-498B-A8DA-75D40504BAC1.jpeg

Talking about the complete installation setup... I think 70 was the first year to the rear defroster with the resistor block mounted on blower for the low speed instead the resistor wire used on previous years? Or it was on 71?

Mark,the switch for the rear defogger goes to the left of the heater control not the right.I have a template here.(somewhere) if you need.Let me know by PM if you do. John
@charge70 - I'd be very interested in a template for that switch. My dash does not have any opening to the left of the heater/ a/c control panel, but I'm adding the rear defog setup and will need to cut the dash to mount it. I can't find many pictures besides the one I'm attaching....

I'd be interested in as many pics as you have of that area, and how the switch mounts/looks in the dash.

Thanks!

Mike

rallye dash with defog cutout (2).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back