• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Roadrunner Build

tnfastback

Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score
  • Finally starting a build thread for my 1970 Roadrunner. Car was purchased February 2016 after being owned by the same guy since 1999. Car had an attempted repaint sometime in its life and the previous owner had quarters and a 2 piece trunk pan installed sometime between 99 and 2016. He also traded the gull wing for a pair of bucket seats requiring me to find a bench seat and deck lid. Here are the pics starting from the first picture I took after pulling car out of his garage, the ride home, arrival home and then up on blocks to begin disassembly.

RR.jpg RR2.jpg RRR4.jpg RR5.jpg RR6.jpg RR7.jpg RR8.jpg

Located the owner of car from 1982 who shared some 110 film pictures of car in the 80's. Notice it has the Plymouth windshield visor still on car when I purchased it.

RR3.jpg RR4.jpg

Some progress through Summer 2018. Removed engine, exhaust, gas tank, etc. Degreased engine bay removing the Chevrolet black paint job!!! Stripped all lights, grille, bumpers, door handles, etc and sent to be plastic media blasted.

RR10.jpg RR11.jpg RR12.jpg RR13.jpg RR14.jpg RRR2.jpg RR15.jpg RR16.jpg

Dropped car off for paint directly from media blaster in October 2018. First thing that had to go was that horrid 2 piece trunk pan. Last picture is of some vintage 1970 scrap.

RR20.jpg RR23.jpg RR24.jpg RR25.jpg RR27.jpg RR26.jpg RR22.jpg

Sometime during its lifetime, somebody killed the K member and bottom of radiator support. Purchased a K member off FBBO and added a skid plate since I am recreating a Six Barrel car. Also more pictures of where we are as of January 2019.

RR47.jpg RR46.jpg RR30.jpg RR44.jpg RR45.jpg RR43.jpg RR28.jpg RR42.jpg RR41.jpg RR35.jpg

Few more Shop Pics. Replaced lower fender areas on both sides which was the worst rust that remained in car.

RR36.jpg RR37.jpg RR38.jpg RR32.jpg RR53.jpg RR54.jpg RR29.jpg RR9.jpg

I got my gauges back in December after being gone 15 months. I left the mileage at 60K which is the cars original miles. Also had the wiper motor refurbished and created a vintage spare tire. In the process of painting dash, steering column and polishing my stainless trim.

RR51.jpg RR50.jpg RR49.jpg wiper motor.jpg RR52.jpg

Very nice car tn. Looks like you are on top of things.:thumbsup:

I always dig someone doing things right - multiplied in this case by the fact you're in my neck of the woods. :thumbsup:
Question - what are those wheel stands under the car (last pic in post #1) and how did you get the car up on them?

Great work, that is going to be fantastic when done.

Looking good so far. Gives me hope for my disaster of a 70 Road Runner that I have.

Engine was replaced by 1980's owner with a 440. Just got block back Friday and am
I always dig someone doing things right - multiplied in this case by the fact you're in my neck of the woods. :thumbsup:
Question - what are those wheel stands under the car (last pic in post #1) and how did you get the car up on them?

They are called Race Ramps. Blocks have handles on them and weigh approx 5 lbs each. The are Concave on the top to rest wheels in and stack nicely when not in use. Best $200 dollars I ever spent. I used a floor jack and 4x4 wooden blocks to lift car under center of rear axle and center of K member, lifting one end at a time. They are rated at 1500 lbs per corner or 6000 lbs total capicity. Also a great & Safe way to introduce your kids to the joys of undercarriage stripping!!! Well safe except for the one in bare feet :screwy:

Kids.JPG

Nice car and will be following this build, your son is more brave than me; often I am wearing at least flip flops. :)

Nice car and will be following this build, your son is more brave than me; often I am wearing at least flip flops. :)

I am too a Flip-Flop guy, but bare feet an wires off of wheel brushes don't go good together. He plays Baseball and sometimes at the batting cage hits barefooted. He gets that from his Mom :lol: He used drills and cup brushes on a 4" side grinder and cleaned most of the undercarriage before sending to the media blaster. Pretty good job for an 11 year old.

Floor.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back