1970 Satellite - electrical gremlin. Help appreciated.

Electrical & Ignition

1. signalsparks

signalsparks New Member

Local Time:
    1:17 PM
    Greetings, one and all. I'll start with my problem, and then tell my background.

Problem: I disconnected the "C/LTR -- DOME L" fuse so as not to drain the battery while performing maintenance on the front passenger door (repaired window mechanism) -- went to plug it back in, the fuse blows instantly. I'm going to try disconnecting the battery and replace the fuse again, but while the burn blister on my finger heals...

Any thoughts? Known issues? Places to start looking? Dome/map/steering column lights still work when the engine is running and the door is open. Haven't checked the lighter.

Instead of posting my life story here, I'll make a separate thread in a more appropriate forum.

Thanks in advance.

2. Moparfeind

Moparfeind FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Welcome aboard! Your in the right place. Lots of great helpful folks here! Do you have schematics by chance? That and an Ohm meter are really important. Was the cig lighter pushed in when you hooked up the fuse? Did you disconnect the battery while you were working on the door? What exactly did you do on the door?

3. PRND21

PRND21 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    4:17 PM
    Check that lighter, I’ve seen more than one element shorted out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • PurpleBeeper

PurpleBeeper FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      3:17 PM
      Replace the fuse before re-connecting the battery? I'd risk one more fuse to try it EDITED--> see above post

• steve from staten island

steve from staten island FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      4:17 PM
      I think I got it on e bay, its a laminated schematic of your cars wiring. All color coded. I found it to be a huge help with wiring issues

• bearman

bearman FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      welcome, by your call sign you either you deal with electricity or you run from it as many do. well you have came to the right place as these folks know what they are doing. i have already filled a note book up with ideas and how to do it as i build my project. the best part of it there is never a dumb question. enjoy the forum and good luck on your car

• Agree Agree x 1
      1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.