• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Superbird Hemi Round track car.

Hemi2Much

Local time
5:43 PM
Reaction score
A real deal 1970 Superbird Hemi car used as a dirt track car still has the original engine and trans. I found this unbelievable story on the MotorTrend website.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/secret-stash-of-winged-superspeedway-cars-from-the-1960s
There were several winged cars in the warehouse to boot.

Warehouse-001-11-lpr.jpg
Warehouse-001-12-lpr.jpg
Warehouse-001-14-lpr.jpg

Engine looks more like a 69 and older.
( valve cover and heater hose nipples )

Makes one wonder where this one has been hiding all these years.

I know of this stash (it's incredible) and I've met the fella, once, in a chance meeting at a gas station on
I-75 down towards Athens, TN. The guy is friendly and unassuming, but rather guarded about the stash
of course...
Tim Wellborn knows him pretty well.

Engine looks more like a 69 and older.
( valve cover and heater hose nipples )

Makes one wonder where this one has been hiding all these years.

The write-up says that it was found sitting in a field in Tennessee. The previous owner was going to send it to the crusher then the current owner came along and hauled it to his warehouse also somewhere in Tennessee.

I’d fix it! I could let it go too rough to just let it go... If the is the original driveline that’s amazing.. Somebody has to save that! IMO ! No rebody either!

Must have seen its last use as an outlaw. Nascar mandated a single 4bbl, No? Plus it has an A/T! Interesting.

Last edited:
i just finished reading that article and im sorta torn,because this is a mopar site.
but i also know some of you guys are Aero nuts soooo
deep breath,here we go,Please dont hate me for sharing.

theres a guy a couple of towns over that has an entire warehouse full of those fords and mercs,
Both the aeros and super rare versions....428s 429s,super cobra jets,super drag packs,etc etc
literally theres at least 20 something cars in that building that havent moved in 30 years.
hes a retired policeman,getting Really old,and it occurred to me that maybe someone should come and save these cars before he passes and something terrible happens.
( he lives in a town Full of younguns that scrap and demo derby everything they can find.)
if you are interested or know a ford guy who is,please pm me and ill do my best to get them together.
apologies for having brought this offbrand stuff up,but i thought Aero history might be important and worth saving.

Auto Transport Service
Back