• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 383 road runner "Correct" Spark Plug Wires and Plumbing

road robert

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:56 AM
Reaction score
I need to buy new plug wires, distributor cap, rotor + points for my recently acquired car (which I keep finding more things wrong)... For the wires, I don't care about date codes BUT want the correct type and size. Can anyone please provide pictures (right & left side) of OEM plug wires and if they have a 90 degree boot or (7) 90 degree boots + (1) straight angled spark plug connector and what the cable ends at the distributor cap look like?

AND a good place to buy stuff? I'm finding Classic Industries to have the best quality + prices)

Many Thanks,

road robert

These will give you PICTURE reference

Factory is 7mm

All 90 Degree boots on spark plug end except # 8 cylinder has like a 135 degree end , not straight

These come with specific directions for each number cylinder and what length / boots etc

https://www.lectriclimited.com/spark-plug-wire-set-215377

Then on Distributor cap orientation looks like this - Straight and 90 Degree depending on cylinder , again stated in directions and that picture is factory correct

If you want everything factory looking without the Chrysler dates you will have to make your own with a universal set
Or maybe Firecore

I don’t know of exact fit like these through another company or aftermarket with exact boots for each cylinder etc
815E3ED7-8CD2-4CBF-A2E7-4FEC1DEE7587.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Bee1971, great stuff! Excellent information and nice pic of the cap too. Until now I did not know that the cap wires were (4) straight and (4) 90 degrees and plugs (7) 90 degree angle and (1) 135 degree angle. I ordered the $60 set (exact look & fit without date codes - I started doing all OEM but keep finding issues and need to reel it in and focus on performance + reliability vs. concourse show trailer queen - I bought this car to drive! ) from Lectric Limited, even learned about the dielectric grease too (had a debate w/ friends last weekend)... BTW the car came w/ "Mopar plug wires but NOT correct...

More Questions:
1. Are the wires marked so you know where they go (1-8)?
2. Lectric Limited only sells wires - Where should I go to buy distributor cap, rotor + points?

I've been looking for wires and really like what you sent me - watched both their YouTube videos and was impressed!

Instructions give length of wire in inches
and boot angles for each cylinder

And this is in relation to the factory putting the #1 cylinder at around the 5pm position on dist cap like in that picture

Big Blocks counterclockwise Dist rotation

So intermediate shaft and #1 cylinder at TDC on compression stroke and rotor all have to be in perfect harmony

I like Standard Motor Products but have not bought a set of points in years

Also

Napa sells a decent Tan Dist Cap and rotor with a slightly longer tip

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back