• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 440+6 GTX, Looking for Past Owners!

Slant 6 Music

Local time
4:14 AM
Reaction score
I've posted something like this before looking for a repair shop listed below. Thought I would expand on it a bit.

If there is anybody from the New Jersey area that might have info on this car and or previous owners, I would greatly appreciate any contact info you could provide. I believe this car likely raced out at Englishtown in the 70's and maybe beyond. I'm guessing more on a hobby level. I have a copy of the original owner's NHRA membership. I believe the 2nd owner may be a person named Tony Sausa in Upper Saddle River area. I have receipts to him showing work being done by an outfit called John's Advanced Automotive in Cliffside Park NJ, no longer in business.

The following is what I posted on FB earlier today.

I wonder if anybody out there can help me locate either John's Advanced Automotive in Cliffside Park NY (which is out of business with no forwarding info), or a person named Tony Sausa from the NJ area, possibly an area called Upper Saddle River NJ?

I'm doing historical research on a 1971 440+6 GTX I a few months that was originally owned by a fellow named Humberto Pizzaro. My understanding is that he has passed. I have receipts from 1999 showing a bunch of work done by John's Advanced Automotive and billed to a fellow named Tony Sausa. I assume he was an owner for some period of time as well.

It is my hope to establish contacts with any of these folks, especially the family of Humberto Pizarro. I'm hoping to get more information about this rare and important car.

Only 135 of these 6 barrel cars were produced. 35 from St. Louis factory where this car is from. It still has it's original broadcast sheet, insurance card, fender tags, and picture of the original owner! It's an original air grabber, FE5 Red with the only changes being a rear wing spoiler, front chin spoilers, and Rally Wheels. Originally hubcaps on it!

Humberto ordered it while serving in US services and it is documented as an export car to Chile! The story is that he received his citizenship after serving and decided to stay in country, so the car never left the states and spent alot of time in New Jersey. Attached is a picture of Humberto in the car, circa 1970s I'm guessing and also a more recent pic.

If anyone knows of the 3 people I mentioned earlier in the post, I would really appreciate you giving them my facebook contact info!

GTX.jpg Humberto Pizarro Original owners.jpg

Cool car. Good luck with the search.

Can you share the wheels codes from line 4 of the broadcast sheet? Wheels: road, color, spare. And wheel cover right after it. And then the W codes from line 11.

Thanks. Line 4 Wheels. Road 27, Color FE5, Spare 00, Wheel cover 50
Line 11 has no codes posted WH/Cov.

I've only decoded fender tags and not the entire BS sheet yet. I assumed by the pic that he may have ordered it with those hubcaps and who knows what after that? The rally's show up on a receipt for resto work in 2006. There's more but it's a long story. The pin stripe is in the fender code. It didn't get added back, which is fine with me. But someone changed out the body colored fender mount turn indicators with incorrect chrome. Probably to match all the other chrome. I bought some repros that I'm painting and putting on.

Do you have info on the wheel covers? I have no code in the W WH/COV section on BS sheet. Just line 4 wheel cover 50, which there doesn't seem to be a W50 translation in the online moparshop data. I need to find a better source for translating the BS sheet, know any? The fender tag ones are great, because you can just put your code in shazam for the most part.

The 50 could be the last two digits of the cap part number 2944450. A 1971 parts manual might have a picture of them.

Do you have info on the wheel covers? I have no code in the W WH/COV section on BS sheet. Just line 4 wheel cover 50, which there doesn't seem to be a W50 translation in the online moparshop data. I need to find a better source for translating the BS sheet, know any? The fender tag ones are great, because you can just put your code in shazam for the most part.
I don’t have much info for 1971. I have 1970 info but your 27 wheel code isn’t on the list.

I have a 70 with the same wheel covers in your photo and they are code 32. They came on the car when bought.

Your car came with red wheels, which usually means dog dish caps. Full caps got black wheels. Then part way through 1971 model year all wheels were black even with dog dish caps. So your car is built fall of 1970?

what is your code on line 2 under tires?

I don’t have much info for 1971. I have 1970 info but your 27 wheel code isn’t on the list.

I have a 70 with the same wheel covers in your photo and they are code 32. They came on the car when bought.

Your car came with red wheels, which usually means dog dish caps. Full caps got black wheels. Then part way through 1971 model year all wheels were black even with dog dish caps. So your car is built fall of 1970?

what is your code on line 2 under tires?
Build date 9/18/70. T93 which are the 14 inch. I believe the pic of the car looks fairly early on its life. I found it strange that he would have ordered the car with those wheels, but it may be that he was going to put on something different. It is coded as a sold car and I also have the original window sticker without pricing, but showing the export info etc., and the T93 14's.

Even more interesting is that the pic clearly shows 440 on the front fender. But all paperwork and vins on the car clear it was a V code car. So knowing that the assembly line guys were not the most accurate in the build process, who knows what happened. I mean it is clear as day there is no code for Line 11. Seems strange.

Try calling Jack at Plum Crazy Auto in Passaic New Jersey. He may know something.

That I know, but I didn’t want to confuse him as in a 5th letter or number. Maybe I should have just said letter. Or maybe I was confused
All I can add is I think I've seen & looked at this car back in the early 80s, seen it a couple of times in Ridgefield NJ then it showed up in my town Maywood NJ for a short while, I talked to the owner & looked at the car briefly at which time it had a rear gull wing spoiler ,I don't recall it being a six pack though & would think I would remember such an important detail but then again I don't recall looking at the eng. & having only 440 decals on it who knows.

Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back