• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 440 V code "4" barrel

Valencia

Local time
12:40 PM
Reaction score
Hi need help identifying what i just bought. I picked up a running 440 motor for a really really great price from a guy hellcat swapping his 69 charger. I knew it wasn't the original engine but it was a real 440 engine. once I brought it home I ran the casting numbers and stamps and cant find much about this motor. casting# 2536430 .... stamp vin 1D212746. top stamp G440 V HP . Intake and carb seem original , does that mean It has all the forge steel internals or is it just the 6 pak cars?..

IMG_8592.JPG

440’s up to ‘74 had forged cranks. At least the 440 I pulled out of a ‘73 Imperial did.

That is a ‘71 block btw. No HP stamp means standard cam.

The “V” would only be in the VIN for 440 Six Pack.

1971 engine with a 1969 valve cover and breather on the drivers side.

Do you have pictures of the crankshaft balancer?

Think he said top pad said G 440 V HP, no idea about the V but that sounds like a 1971 440 HP motor

Is the V an inverted A.

and if it is a 71 V engine & the internals have not been swapped out, it would have the counter balanced dampener AND a forged steel crank

100% it’s a V . To my understanding the top right letter would indicate what code the letter in the vin was , I this case it’s a “V”

Nope. Sorry. Wrong info.

BTW...here's your answer:

stamp vin 1D212746

meaning it's out of a C body built at the Belvedere plant meaning absolutely not an original 6bbl assembly.

Nope. Sorry. Wrong info.

BTW...here's your answer:

stamp vin 1D212746

meaning it's out of a C body built at the Belvedere plant meaning absolutely not an original 6bbl assembly.

thanks I’m aware it’s not an original 6 pack . It’s a 4 barrel just wondering if it’s been heard of a 4 barrel coming with the same internals as a 6 pack since it’s more then just carbs that beefs those motors up like rods ,parts in the timing chain and so on . Thanks guys

Last edited:
440’s up to ‘74 had forged cranks. At least the 440 I pulled out of a ‘73 Imperial did.

That is a ‘71 block btw. No HP stamp means standard cam.

The “V” would only be in the VIN for 440 Six Pack.
Oddly enough, I have a 1975 W200 that was originally a 440-4 speed. It has a steel crank and the thin balancer.

IMG_0392.JPG

That is a '78 grille on the '75 body.

In my experience most of these Engines have been rebuilt once... if not many times by now ?
just say'in....
doesn't matter what's 'stamped' on the outside as that only relates to what it was "originally"... if it has NOT been rebuilt ?
and,
until you take it apart... no telling what it is now ?

Could be a rebuild that used the 7.8:1 smogger Pistons and is already .060" over ? in which case no matter the thin balancer/steel Crank or whatever Rods present... a dawg... is a dawg... is a dawg.

thanks I’m aware it’s not an original 6 pack . It’s a 4 barrel just wondering if it’s been heard of a 4 barrel coming with the same internals as a 6 pack since it’s more then just carbs that beefs those motors up like rods ,parts in the timing chain and so on . Thanks guys
In a word, yes. The 440 vin U was the HP option available to 74, it had the heavy rods and the same cam specs as the 6bbl. It is easily identified by the thick balancer for external balance required because of the heavy rods.

Mark

Oddly enough, I have a 1975 W200 that was originally a 440-4 speed. It has a steel crank and the thin balancer.

View attachment 1177712

That is a '78 grille on the '75 body.
Not all that odd. All 400 and 440 engines that came from the factory with a manual transmission should have come with the forged steel crankshaft.

Auto Transport Service
Back