• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971-72 air grabber help

matt72

Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
Please help me lol, I got a fiberglass reproduction of the air grabber hood bubble but it has no provisions for mounting hardware but with that being said can anyone share reference photos or specifications for the thread sizes and were to put the threads in general, thanks

Is this the $400 ebay one?

I've been wanting to put an AG on a spare 71 hood I have that someone cut a hole in.

I've been leery of spending that much money on something that clearly states it's designed to be glued on.

Does it look like there are bosses with thick enough 'glass that you could epoxy studs in?

They should be pretty obvious.

Maybe you could post some general and more close up pics of the underside.

Those pics in the ebay listing are not that great (if that's the one you have).

How is the general fit and finish?

Does it sit well on the hood?

How is the general fit and finish?

Does it sit well on the hood?
I can go grab some pics but no this is one I grabbed at the Chrysler nationals in Pennsylvania. But the door itself is slightly different on the underside from an original even though it is close to the original the area were the door hinge connects to the door has provisions for studs. The overall fit is still very nice everything drops onto the hood with no problems as long as you have all the correct provisions in the hood.

IMG_3135.JPG

IMG_3136.JPG

Oh, I thought you had the whole bubble aftermarket.

Matt, have a look at my postings I recently did on my Air Grabber setup.
It's on the Roadrunner nest forum.
Here's the link.

It starts on page 22 and goes to page 24 with other tidbits in-between.
The Air Grabber set-up I bought was from Stinger fiberglass.
I did not buy any under hood components as I didn't want a fully functional one.

To answer your question about the mounting holes for the door, you will need to buy the hinge for it.
Here's how the hinge is mounted.
1663606656281.png

The only other mounting area is here (circled in red).
1663606738116.png

There's a pin that goes thru both sections - the head of the pin is visible from the outside but when you apply the side decal, then said pin is hidden.

Here's the curved pieces that hook up to the rest of the under hood components to make it go up and down (circled in red).
1663607619210.png

I hope this gives you some insight.

Oh, I thought you had the whole bubble aftermarket.
it is just I know how the bubble works its just the door that has be baffled

Here's the link.
[/URL]

I did not buy any under hood components as I didn't want a fully functional one.

To answer your question about the mounting holes for the door, you will need to buy the hinge for it.
View attachment 1345393

View attachment 1345394
There's a pin that goes thru both sections - the head of the pin is visible from the outside but when you apply the side decal, then said pin is hidden.

Here's the curved pieces that hook up to the rest of the under hood components to make it go up and down (circled in red).
View attachment 1345396

Thank you for the direction I thankfully ordered all the door pins and the hinge for it, now I should be able to get it together thanks again.

While we are on the subject, what are these circled in red used for?
7F08E58D-F796-42BB-BCFD-AE88D1BD1296.jpeg

It's just me - those holes I added to keep the Air Grabber door open permanently.
I don't want any of the under hood components as I'm using an Air gap intake which is too tall.

I made some brackets out of aluminum.
Put them on and here's how it looks.
August 2nd (1).jpg
August 2nd (2).jpg
August 2nd (3).jpg
August 2nd (4).jpg
August 2nd (6).jpg

Then get everything painted satin black & put the decals on.
Sept 18th (15).jpg
Sept 18th (19).jpg

I figure the brackets have to be strong enough so the wind does not rip the door off the mounts when doing some *ahem* spirited driving.

It's just me - those holes I added to keep the Air Grabber door open permanently.
I don't want any of the under hood components as I'm using an Air gap intake which is too tall.

I made some brackets out of aluminum.
Put them on and here's how it looks.
View attachment 1346855View attachment 1346856View attachment 1346857View attachment 1346858View attachment 1346859

Then get everything painted satin black & put the decals on.
View attachment 1346860View attachment 1346861
I figure the brackets have to be strong enough so the wind does not rip the door off the mounts when doing some *ahem* spirited driving.
Good to know, thought I was missing something. Sweet ride by the way, I’ll be there soon. Seems like every question I have is answered by your posts, either here or the RR nest. Thanks for all your help.

You are welcome - keep the questions coming.
I too had to learn about this body style as my previous Mopar was an F-body 1976 Volare Roadrunner.
All the camera pictures 166.jpg
All the camera pictures 150.jpg

I know just about everything on F-bodies (give or take).

Trust me, I'm still learning about 71-72 Roadrunners, but am more than willing to help out a fellow member.

You are welcome - keep the questions coming.
I too had to learn about this body style as my previous Mopar was an F-body 1976 Volare Roadrunner.
View attachment 1347790View attachment 1347791
I know just about everything on F-bodies (give or take).

Trust me, I'm still learning about 71-72 Roadrunners, but am more than willing to help out a fellow member.
Your in box is full, where did you get your hood bubble from? I am looking to put one on my 80 Volare

bnichols - I emptied out my in box now.

I assume you are asking about the hood scoop I had on my Volare Roadrunner.
That is an A-body scoop. Year One carries it.
1703516216694.png

Classic Industries also carry it.
1703516390240.png

I LOVE those scoops.

Great design, both aesthetically and functionally.

Too bad they only used them on Demons and Dart Sports.

They look right at home on almost anything.

Mopar design studio's version of the ubiquitous "snorkel" design.

...but more classy.

Here's the link.
[/URL]

View attachment 1345393

View attachment 1345394

View attachment 1345396

Where did you order the hinge from? My friend wants me to install the same air grabber kit on his hood and the hinge isn't included in the kit.

Auto Transport Service
Back