• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971-72 Dark Gold Glove Box Door

Bob Nossal

Dodgefor72
Local time
12:12 PM
Reaction score
I'm am trying to reassemble my dash. I wanted to do it the right way and I used the interior paint code from the service manual to paint the dash assembly. It did not work after two different mixes of paint from a professional shop!

My friend owns a body shop and he will match the paint if I provide a 4 x 4 inch flat surface that he can scan to match the paint. I need a gold glove box door or some other dash part for this. I think you know the color...the carpet is gold, the plastic pieces, headliner and seats are light gold and the dash assembly and steering column is dark gold. Anyone out there with a spare dark gold glove box door???

Thanks,
Mopar6672

I wish I had one to give you, as I'm in a similar boat.

Have a '72 Roadrunner/GTX with gold interior that needs complete restoration. The gold colors are different in different areas, as you mention. I even called the people at Herb's paints, to see if they had advice on the various gold color options, and they had no idea, and were not helpful at all.

The paint code chart on Herb's website lists years for colors but don't cover 1972. I wonder if the colors are carried over from prior years.

In other words, the "Gold" color on Herb's paint chart states it's for a '67j - '69 car. The "Ember Gold" is listed as a 1968 color.

I have some gold interior pieces, but I'm afraid that the years of fading and element exposure would give me an untrue color if I brought it to a paint shop. No restoration house (i.e. classic industries) carries gold interior pieces.

There are 2 basic interior golds for this interior...light gold and dark gold. I got this from my factory body manual. The carpet, steering column, dash housing and dash pad are dark gold. Everything else is basically light gold.

After 3 failed attempts by a popular resto supplier for the dark gold, my friend, who painted the steering column and dash housing parts for me, said he would match the paint. I found a flat piece of original dash color and he scanned it. It took him 3 or 4 attempts but he matched it nearly perfect in my opinion. See the photos. It should have a slight tint of green. He did not use factory lacquer suede paint. I believe he used a base coat and sealed it with matte/satin clear. Plenty good for me.

IMG_6756.JPG 1972 Dodge Charger Interior Colors_2.JPG IMG_6433.JPG

There are 2 basic interior golds for this interior...light gold and dark gold. I got this from my factory body manual. The carpet, steering column, dash housing and dash pad are dark gold. Everything else is basically light gold.

After 3 failed attempts by a popular resto supplier for the dark gold, my friend, who painted the steering column and dash housing parts for me, said he would match the paint. I found a flat piece of original dash color and he scanned it. It took him 3 or 4 attempts but he matched it nearly perfect in my opinion. See the photos. It should have a slight tint of green. He did not use factory lacquer suede paint. I believe he used a base coat and sealed it with matte/satin clear. Plenty good for me.

View attachment 865857 View attachment 865858 View attachment 865859
This is helpful. Thanks.

The dash looks pretty close. And you're right. It does have a tint of olive/green in it, which is original.

These folks here on ebay claim to have paint colors with old Chrysler codes:

https://www.ebay.com/str/colormyauto

They've only been in business a few months. Maybe I'll get a can and see if it's worth it on a test piece.

Auto Transport Service
Back