• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 B-Body prefabricated metal brake lines

MoparGuy68

Local time
3:32 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone ordered the prefabricated metal brake lines for a 1971 B-Body from Classic Industries? I need to replace all my lines, and I’m looking for a source to obtain prefabricated lines that will actually fit my car properly.

It would be nice to hear from anyone who has purchased brake lines from Classic Industries, as to your experience with them. Did the lines actually fit properly, etc.?

How about any other vendor of lines, that you got and they fit on your car and worked well?

I bought my complete front and rear set off Dr Diff and they fit perfectly.

I used Dr. Diff as well, the lines were manufactured by "Right Stuff", they fit good. Took over a month to get them though.

The reason I went with Dr. Diff is because I have 3 66-70 8 3/4
B-body rear ends, and all 3 have different length lines with 2 different vent tee locations. Dr. Diff requires you to measure to ensure you get the right lines.

Inline tube makes nice kits...I have seen there kit on other sites for more money. They are in Michigan. I have used fuel and brake lines on a 97 gmc truck...perfect fit.

Last edited:
I think I used "Fine Lines" stainless for the front of my 73.

They fit well and had the spring reinforcements in the correct places.

I used Right Stuff stainless on my 67 Gtx Resto and they were very proper but stainless is more difficult to get sealed at some connections, due to the hardness of the stainless, multiple on and off to make seal ! That was my experience with them! Someone else is offering another material, if I did another!

I used sstubes.com (fine lines) on my 71 Charger. Good stuff! Fit good and went on nice. And they are only 30 minutes away

I had no sealing issues.

stainless is more difficult to get sealed at some connections, due to the hardness of the stainless

using copper flare gaskets will help seal your SS lines when they will not seal properly. I've used them on steel lines to when it will not make a seal tight. They come in different sizes to.

https://www.johnstonesupply.com/product-view?pID=R54-455

OP is from Arizona, no reason to use stainless over mild steel.

Really no reason for anyone to use stainless unless you’re driving these cars daily and year round like they did when they were new

Last edited:
I used Fine Lines for front and rear on my 64 update, fit perfect.

Rust is an issue in humid FL.

I used SS to avoid it.

My 73 is a FL car all it's life and the OEM lines were VERY surface rusty, and the trans lines rusted through.
I did SS on those as well.

Am very familiar, with stainless and many other types of metal , having welded , for over 40 years, professionally, and also being an American Welding Society-Certified Welding Inspector , I went with the stainless for durability as well as the overall appearance ! Not an issue with the Right Stuff product any more than the need to concentrate on the small leakage at the rear junction, at the rear diff ! Once that was overcome, all has been well . And the copper tapered washers , probably would be a nice , addition!

Im positive the line kit I picked up from Fine Lines were regular steel but coated

I prefer the sstubes (Fine Lines). I haven't had problems with them and they fit great.
The Right Stuff stainless lines are a bear to get to seal. Had to get a break line hone tool to get them to seal.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I’ll have to measure my rear end drum to drum width. And the tee block bolt to center of rear end.

IIRC I did have to crank on the "right stuff" trans lines I used to get them to seal.

At least the fittings were larger and more robust on those vs brake fittings.

They were also bent differently than OEM, which I thought was odd considering the company name (although they were easier to install because of it).

Dr Diff states on his website to measure the overall width of the rear axle drum to drum.

Is it from outermost edge to outermost edge of the drum?

Is it from base of brake line fitting to base of brake line fitting on each drum?

Is it from outermost edge of hub to hub?

So far, I am not coming up with any measurement that comes within 1/8” of any of the 5 measurements he is asking me to select on his website. I’m 99% sure this is a factory width 8.75” rear that has not been narrowed.

I’m asking on here, because I have the *** end of the car up in the air now, and Dr Diff cannot be contacted today.

This is the order I placed when I did my 71 rear axle.

Rear Axle Brake Line Selector
Options: Model Year: 1971; Platform: B-Body; Model: Charger; Rear End: 8 3/4"; Rear End Width: 57 1 /2"; Vent Bolt Location: 11 1/4" from Center of Housing; Rear Brakes: Drum; Choose Brake Line Material: Original Material (+$30.00); Add Rearend to Body Flex Hose: Rubber (screw-in type) (+$20.00); Add Brass Tee: No; Add Vent-Bolt: No;

IMG_0459.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back