• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Charger driver's wiper arm - Need some wisdom

ChargerChad

Local time
4:36 AM
Reaction score
This is my first "hidden wiper" mopar and I am baffled by the driver's wiper arm. I can take it on and off easily, I figured out the little clip that holds the arm to the knurled stud. My assembly seems to be in excellent condition... HOWEVER, during operation the driver's wiper blade terminates in the up position in a really stupid angle before returning, apparently because the idler arm is pulling the blade sideways instead of letting it terminate parallel to the windshield post. I hope I'm explaining this right... is it supposed to be this way? I've included a still pic of the wipers at stroke turnaround and switched off...

Please help, this is killing my OCD...

crooked.jpg off.jpg

Looks like the smaller track arm is on the wrong side of the wiper arm. Should be on the outside or top not inside.

Looks like the smaller track arm is on the wrong side of the wiper arm. Should be on the outside or top not inside.
Thanks for the advice... as it turns out, it appears that the car has the wrong wiper arm altogether. The track arm for a 71 Charger is 16 1/4 inches eye-to-eye. Mine is barely 15. I have the correct arm on order, hopefully that will cure the problem

So as it turns out, the wiper arm on the car had been replaced at some point to one that was not for a charger. The shorter one is the one that was on the car, the longer one I just bought on ebay. Problem solved.

wpr_rm.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back