• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Charger R/T doors Fiberglass

Dl.

Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
I’ve been contemplating making some fiberglass 71 R/T doors for quite some time. I have a pair of originals for my project, and actually an extra passenger door to make the mold from. I had envisioned making them heavier than the typical light glass stuff. I figured there’d be more interest if you could actually use real windows and handles.....
What do you guys think?

I had a pair of rusty R/T doors,that I cut the gilled sections out of,and grafted them into a nice pair of regular doors. I cut the doors an inch above the lower body line. I cut the upper section one inch below the body line. I cut it top to bottom about three inches after the stamped gilled section. Then I ground the tack welds where the forward section of the door skin wrapped around the inner structure. I cut the non R/T doors the same way,and welded the gilled sections in,and blended them in,and tacked the forward edge on the inside like the factory did. It wasn't hard to do,but the welding took time because I didn't want to warp them. R/T doors are expensive and hard to find,I have 11 of them,six are on my cars. Fiberglass ones would be a lot of work to make,and the market is limited. They would only fit 71/72 Chargers,as 73/74 Charger doors have different body lines. You may be better off to make a doorskin that could be bonded onto the factory inner door structure with panel bond and counter sunk rivets. If someone were to make stamped sheetmetal gilled sections that could be grafted in for 71 R/T and 72 rallye Chargers,that would be cool. My friend has been trying to get AMD to make R/T doors,but they say there is not enough market for them. My friend is personally resopnsible for all the 71/72 Charger pieces AMD offers,he let them use all his NOS and nice used parts for templating,and he test fitted every piece they make. He did the 71/72 Plymouth B body pieces too. He recently got AMD to do the bulge hoods and the Ramcharger hoods,they wouldn't do the R/T hood because it is a one year only hood.

Last edited:
Anyone have a R/T hood they can measure precisely where the cutout is. I need to locate my glass hood for the insert.

Nice that you have 11 wow! I have the pair for my car and one extra passenger.
I emailed AMD also a while back and was told about the lack of interest.
I can’t stand the thought of one accident and the door could be gone forever. Judging from the lack of response there really isn’t much interest.

I measured from the center of the back edge of the hood, the recess for the louver is twenty inches to 42 1/2 inches. From the side the rear edge of the recess before the corner is15 5/8 inches and on the front edge of the recess it is 16 3/8 inches. It is the same on both sides.
20190929_151747.jpg
20190929_151713.jpg
20190929_151546.jpg

Your best bet is to make a poster board template of the insert, and use the measurements I gave you. Measure several times before cutting the hood.

Fiberglass doors, YES, PLEASE, AFFORDABLE DOORS!

these doors absolutely fit ANY 71 - 74 charger. the body lines only vary on top and bottom being they are continuous on 73 or 74 BUT does not affect fitment whatsoever.

Thank You very much for the measurements of the insert location! The cardboard is a great idea too!
I’m in the process of moving my shop this month, consuming all of my time, but can’t wait to get to work on projects.

Auto Transport Service
Back