• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Dodge Charger Rear Brake Lights Issue

Tom Ace

Local time
2:57 AM
Reaction score
Hello, new member and need some guidance.

Have a 71 Dodge Charger and experiencing a problem with rear brake lights.

I have done the following and still no brake lights.
-flashers/signals work(even emergency lights)
-all light bulbs checked
-brake switch check goes hot when depressed and also neutral when not in use
-glass fused pulled and replaced(not blown)
-ground checked in trunk(both sides) wire brushed connections.
-running lights checked and work as well

all lights work and all flashers work except my brake lights. And cannot figure what else to check, any ideas or pointers if someone else has experienced this as well.

Thank You
Tom Ace

E5158F0B-171B-40C3-8E3E-D50214DD4F8A.jpeg

46D792FE-4F01-4374-BFA0-D2A6599A8B48.jpeg

25707D36-9BBF-4BD3-957B-3AC92F91AE39.jpeg

Verify your brake light switched voltage is present at the white wire in the turn signal switch Molex. If so, replace the turn signal switch. Fairly common failure really. Avoid repo switches, find a NOS switch.

The mentioned white wire comes from brake pedal switch, which gets a pink and white wires. Pink is the one coming from fuse box. When brakes pedal is depressed the voltage goes throught that white wire wire up to turning switch and spliced (in rest position) to the dark green and brown wires, each one to each side of high intensity filament tail lights bulbs.

If you are using the factory harness. Also check the connector in the trunk. Make sure there is no corrosion check for power as well at that connection. Should be on the left side near the corner for the connector.

If you are using the factory harness. Also check the connector in the trunk. Make sure there is no corrosion check for power as well at that connection. Should be on the left side near the corner for the connector.
His flashers and turn signals work so that is not a problem area. As said if there is power on the white with the pedal pressed it is in the turn signal switch.

Last edited:
His flashes and turn signals work so that is not a problem area. As said if there is power on the white with the pedal pressed it is in the turn signal switch.
Gotcha just thinking of all things to check.

I don’t know if this helps but check the connector in the left kick panel up front and on my 74 Charger there is a connector above the license plate area that connects left and right sides together. Clean and test all the connector points to verify is the power is transmitted through each one.

Verify your brake light switched voltage is present at the white wire in the turn signal switch Molex. If so, replace the turn signal switch. Fairly common failure really. Avoid repo switches, find a NOS switch.
Thank you. Would have never guessed to looked into turn signal. Have to remove steering wheel I assume to get that turn signal cam? Or am I think of wrong item.

Thank you. Would have never guessed to looked into turn signal. Have to remove steering wheel I assume to get that turn signal cam? Or am I think of wrong item.
Yes, servicing the turn signal switch requires removing the steering wheel.

Check if white wire at plug down the column is actually getting voltage at the white wire before remove the steering wheel. I HAVE had same problem once and it was simply a loosen connection at molex terminal at plug.

it could be also damaged pedal switch.

Yes, servicing the turn signal switch requires removing the steering wheel.
Ok thank you, sorry for late response. I’m a first responder and had to take partner to hospital was in a bad car wreck. Anyways. Looks like I’ll be taking steering wheel apart.

Last question are you talking about the signal cam the cheap plastic piece?

Not sure I’m following “the signal cam”, Some refer to a cancel cam, part of the turn signal switch assembly. The correct servicing involves replacing the complete turn signal switch with wiring lead and Molex connector. The current readily available reproduction switches (most having a yellow cancel cam) are junk, find an original if you can. Original number is 3488477, later superseded by 3488804. Some later non-tilt switches will function as a replacement with a little work.

turn signal switch2.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back