• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Plymouth HEMI Road Runner NASCAR Found on a Field, Has Been Missing for Decades

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
Finding derelict classic cars on a field is nothing too spectacular nowadays. There are millions of cars rotting away in the open and most of them are nothing to write home about in terms of desirability. But from time to time, barn find explorers stumble upon super-rare vehicles. The rust bucket you see here is one of those cars.

1667306245314.png

At first glance, it's just a pile of junk sitting on an old trailer. It's something many of us would just ignore, especially since it looks like a Malaise-era car. But this mangled shell started life as something completely different: a NASCAR-spec 1971 Plymouth HEMI Road Runner.

The race car belonged to Ramo Stott, a not-so-famous NASCAR driver who raced part-time in the competition from 1967 to 1977. Stott had 35 NASCAR starts and scored 17 top tens and a second-place finish at Talladega. So how did the Mopar end up like this and why is it no longer a 1971 Road Runner?

Well, Ramo owned it for many years and made updates to the sheet metal to keep it legal for both the NASCAR and ARCA series. The Road Runner was updated to 1973 specifications after the 1972 season and then, it received a third-generation body in 1975.

Raced like that until 1977, when it was crashed, the Road Runner was rebuilt into a Plymouth Volare for the 1978 season. The chassis was also slightly shortened to accommodate the new body. Sadly, the car crashed hard again and the outfit decided to give up on it. Parted out, the car was retired in a barn and went missing for a few decades.

The mangled Road Runner surfaced again in the 2000s, this time around, sitting on a field under new ownership. Documented by "Auto Archaeology," the Mopar spent the last two decades fully exposed to the elements, and, not surprisingly, it's in pretty bad shape.

But even though it's missing vital components, including the original 426-cubic-inch (7.0-liter) HEMI V8 engine, the car still has its original race-spec chassis. The latter might just be salvageable, but will this NASCAR gen be restored to its former glory?

I have a feeling that it won't since it will cost a fortune to rebuild a 1971 Plymouth HEMI Road Runner almost from scratch, but it's still cool to see an old-school racer still standing after so many decades off the track. Even if it's just a derelict Volare that no one cares about today.

But perhaps it will have the lucky fate of yet another Mopar that was discovered behind Stott's shop decades ago. I'm talking about the first 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona that hit 200 mph (322 kph). Found with a 1973 Charger body, the car was restored to original specs and auctioned off for a whopping $550,000 in May 2022.

Thanks RC, pretty cool story and history .

I thought that the number 88 Daytona Charger that broke the 200mph record was found behind Don White's shop,not Ramo Stott's shop.

Great article, RC. This is Ramo's Superbird. I saw it at a Mopar show in the Milwaukee area in 2017. It's locally owned. Very cool to see and it sounded fantastic backing out of the trailer.

20170611_095539.jpg

20170611_095927.jpg

20170611_095935.jpg

20170611_095941.jpg

20170611_095944.jpg

20170611_100000.jpg

20170611_100019.jpg

20170611_100039.jpg

20170611_100044.jpg

Finding derelict classic cars on a field is nothing too spectacular nowadays. There are millions of cars rotting away in the open and most of them are nothing to write home about in terms of desirability. But from time to time, barn find explorers stumble upon super-rare vehicles. The rust bucket you see here is one of those cars.

View attachment 1366749

At first glance, it's just a pile of junk sitting on an old trailer. It's something many of us would just ignore, especially since it looks like a Malaise-era car. But this mangled shell started life as something completely different: a NASCAR-spec 1971 Plymouth HEMI Road Runner.

The race car belonged to Ramo Stott, a not-so-famous NASCAR driver who raced part-time in the competition from 1967 to 1977. Stott had 35 NASCAR starts and scored 17 top tens and a second-place finish at Talladega. So how did the Mopar end up like this and why is it no longer a 1971 Road Runner?

Well, Ramo owned it for many years and made updates to the sheet metal to keep it legal for both the NASCAR and ARCA series. The Road Runner was updated to 1973 specifications after the 1972 season and then, it received a third-generation body in 1975.

Raced like that until 1977, when it was crashed, the Road Runner was rebuilt into a Plymouth Volare for the 1978 season. The chassis was also slightly shortened to accommodate the new body. Sadly, the car crashed hard again and the outfit decided to give up on it. Parted out, the car was retired in a barn and went missing for a few decades.

The mangled Road Runner surfaced again in the 2000s, this time around, sitting on a field under new ownership. Documented by "Auto Archaeology," the Mopar spent the last two decades fully exposed to the elements, and, not surprisingly, it's in pretty bad shape.

But even though it's missing vital components, including the original 426-cubic-inch (7.0-liter) HEMI V8 engine, the car still has its original race-spec chassis. The latter might just be salvageable, but will this NASCAR gen be restored to its former glory?

I have a feeling that it won't since it will cost a fortune to rebuild a 1971 Plymouth HEMI Road Runner almost from scratch, but it's still cool to see an old-school racer still standing after so many decades off the track. Even if it's just a derelict Volare that no one cares about today.

But perhaps it will have the lucky fate of yet another Mopar that was discovered behind Stott's shop decades ago. I'm talking about the first 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona that hit 200 mph (322 kph). Found with a 1973 Charger body, the car was restored to original specs and auctioned off for a whopping $550,000 in May 2022.

Amazing what people will do
(Pay to bring them back & pass off them, as 'org.')
& act like, when they come across a "piece of junk", pile of welded tubing on a trailer
bent, broken & mangled to ****, with the wrong body, wrong wheelbase,
way out of date "alleged" , 'Nascar chassis cert., if it even still has it',
if it's in the same condition (or just a story, like 'the mailroom 4 dr' ****) etc.
a few tubes of the Org. racecar 'may be' still from the Org. 71 Hemi car,
almost nothing about it is Org. now

cool story, but......

I can see a huge deal made about it... on Mecum in the future too

I thought that the number 88 Daytona Charger that broke the 200mph record was found behind Don White's shop,not Ramo Stott's shop.
I found this video to be interesting, but full of inaccuracies. #1: Yes, the #88 Charger Daytona was found at Don White's shop. #2: I don't think this car ever raced in NASCAR. Ramo Stott (pronounced Ray-mo) was an USAC/ARCA/IMCA midwestern driver, so this car did race at Daytona and may have raced at places like Pocono and Michigan, but only in USAC or ARCA. #3: It was not shortened in 1975, in fact it may have remained a 1975 Fury until 1978. I watched this car race at Milwaukee from 1974 until 1979 or 1980.

The mangled mess in the photo looks like an Aspen/Volare.

Auto Transport Service
Back