1971 Plymouth Road Runner - No tail, turn, brake, flasher lights in the rear - most logical things to check?

AtomicDog

Local time
8:43 AM
Reaction score
I'm working on a friend's 1971 Road Runner and none of the rear tail, turn, brake or flashers are working. I also have an issue with the front running/turn signal lights staying on whenever the battery is connected. The smallest filment in the bulb stays lit on both front running/turn signal lights. In addition, the headlights work (low beam and high beam), but the headlights are dimmer than they should be. I've checked the fuse box and power is making it to all of the fuses there just fine. Does anyone know where I can find the factory wiring diagrams to download for this car and logical things to check to resolve this problem?

Photon440

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
One of the things to check carefully is to make sure that the grounds are in circuit, not blocked by new paint or gaskets.

6872n73

Local time
7:43 AM
Reaction score
Check the light switch and connector. Check grounds.

WileERobby

Local time
Reaction score
1655122949135.png

Roger63

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:43 AM
Reaction score
It's almost always the grounds as stated above

devinism

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
I also have an issue with the front running/turn signal lights staying on whenever the battery is connected.
Yikes! Firewall bulkhead connector issues?! Steering column wiring issues? Also remove any wiring that isn't original.

AtomicDog

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas so quickly. I'll check things out further.

Carcinogen

Local time
Reaction score
turn signal switch in column caused me a bunch of grief. All light circuits go through it.

Instead of replacing it, previous owner rigged up switches for blinkers. Did not realize it was the turn switch until after replacing all under dash and wiring harness.

Also recommend using relays for the lights to take the load off stock wiring and switch. Much brighter and eliminates heat in switch.

Last edited:

AtomicDog

Local time
Reaction score
Just FYI, I believe I may have found the issue with the tail lights, along with the front turn signal lights staying on when the battery is connected. Traced the wiring going back to the tail lights from the driver's side kick panel. Seemed that I had current showing up in the connector at the kick panel, but no current back at the tail lights. I gently tugged on the wiring harness that ran along the floor and found that all of the wires in the harness had been cut, likely behind the back seat area. Next step is to pull the back seat and see if I can splice the 6 cut wires back together again. When I pulled the harness out, the front turn bulbs went off, so by splicing these wires back together, hoping that this solves my tail light and turn signal issues.

20220614_153233.jpg