• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Satellite (GTX Clone) 22 to 26 inch Radiator Swap for AC Demands

gibber

Local time
3:37 PM
Reaction score
Just brought home our 71 GTX clone that we had Vintage air installed. Cools great, but now realize that the 22 inch radiator is not going to hack the cooling demands in Phoenix AZ in the summer. So I have a correct 71 Satellite 26 inch radiator showing up next week. I will get the desert cooling recore done on it but question is, what needs to be done to make it fit? Can I use the same core support or am I looking at a major undertaking? Just figured I'd ask here first!

Thanks in advance,

Mark

I lived in Phoenix a couple times, and heat is heat. Your first issue is make the opening fit a 26' radiator. in that car you have to widen the opening to 26" inches. Then get at least a three core radiator. There are companies that make 22" three cores, if necessary, if that is an Issue.

Just brought home our 71 GTX clone that we had Vintage air installed. Cools great, but now realize that the 22 inch radiator is not going to hack the cooling demands in Phoenix AZ in the summer. ............
Thanks in advance,

Mark

Can you put up some pics of the installation please? I just had my truck fitted out last week, and the air works great with a 2-core Radiator. Maybe our Springtime doesn't compare to a full-on Phoenix Summer. :icon_thumright:

The sell replacement 26" rad supports that will fit your car if you want to keep it stock looking. Or you're left with cutting and drilling to make it fit. I've seen some where they just stick a big rad in there and leave the opening the same size, one of those things.

As for phoenix, nothing but fun in the summer time. Thankfully it's almost over.

I purchased the bracket for 26 inch conversions for the right side. Will still have to do some cutting, but at lease it will mount up like it is supposed to...thanks...

Mark

Well, you learn something every day.

I always thought the 22" rads had a bracket that offset them to mount to the 26" opening, which I thought was standard.

Great....something else to figure out.

Just finished the radiator swap, everything worked out great. Had an original 71 Mopar 26 inch radiator rebuilt with a four row core, and after cutting the pass side radiator support out, installed the 22 to 26 inch adapter bracket I bought and bolted it in place with existing bolt holes that were in the radiator support and the bracket. Correct shroud mounted up nicely and it runs down the road with no more overheating issue...shall take a few pics to show the new radiator mounted in place...

Mark

Yes, do post some pics please.

Just finished the radiator swap, everything worked out great. Had an original 71 Mopar 26 inch radiator rebuilt with a four row core, and after cutting the pass side radiator support out, installed the 22 to 26 inch adapter bracket I bought and bolted it in place with existing bolt holes that were in the radiator support and the bracket. Correct shroud mounted up nicely and it runs down the road with no more overheating issue...shall take a few pics to show the new radiator mounted in place...

Mark

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but neither Vintage Air nor Classic Air show a retro-fit kit for the 71/72 Roadrunner/GTX. Was it a one off, or is it one they customized from the listed options (E-body or earlier B body)? Thanks in advance, I live in Dallas, and AC from late May through early October is a must to enjoy the car. I do not have a car yet, but I am looking at 71/72 Roadrunner, GTX or Roadrunner/GTX. Since I want an Air Grabber hood, I will be going with a front serpentine kit.

Auto Transport Service
Back