• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Dodge Charger Rallye 340 4 speed

charger360

Local time
8:07 AM
Reaction score
Well I am starting a new thread for a car I am restoring for someone else. the car is in tough but very fixable shape, the entire interior will be redone as well as the body and full mechanical rebuild. the man wants a very clean driver not a showcar. he has owned this car since 1975 back when it was just another car! it was a brown on brown car he wants it to be Hemi orange with a black interior. so that is what we will shoot for. here are some pics. DSC04623.jpgDSC04624.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

the power bulge hood has already been redone as has a mint deck lid the bumpers were re chromed and I will provide front fenders. the cowl and inner fenders need a bit of work as does the drivers floor but other than that is solid structure wise. I an pretty sure I will have to change the quarter panels as they have a fair amount of road rash but no real rust issues. it will be a bit yet before this gets into the shop but there will be plenty of photos o stay tuned.

Well I'm glad I looked around before turning the net off looks like a great project and if he ever decides to sell it please shoot me a msg. I just finished one Orange black upholstery black go wing and loovers ilthats a great color combo agen good luck on the build

Cool I love these post '71 high performance cars. It shows that people were still interested in power, even if there wasn't all that much around

Will be following this along as I have a 72 rallye also that is somewhere in line to get redone. Get lots of pictures and explanations as well.

ok I finally got it into the shop! with a bit of help will start some teardown in the morning.10940629_10153124272264252_9218893262273045290_n.jpg11002507_10153124272434252_3515141138444361982_n.jpg10408883_10153124272339252_1664077359939201257_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

will try to keep the pics coming.

Looks like a good start, ill be watching as this is going to be a great one im sure, the HEMI orange with black interior sounds sweet... Have fun!!! :)

Well I posted on this when you first put it up and I'm happy to inform after a bit of tradeing and selling I bought a 72 rallye 340 car in decent shape and ordered a 4 speed conversion for it it will be painted hugger orange black interior and black out on the hood and I'm debating on the trunk decals also I got a hideaway set up so it should turn out good we will see .
Let's race and see who gets done first sounds like they will be identical
Good luck with the build it's comeing along

Cool car. I lov the 340/4sp combos myself, regardless of the year.

got started on the teardown it is fairly solid. it will need inner fenders a rad support and drivers floor pan up front in the rear we will do 1/4 panels to replace some repairs from the mid 70's. it will go back to a bench seat if we can find one that's worth fixing. the motor will get rebuilt with a couple of upgrades and my buddy Leaburn will do the electrical and trim work as always. I will pop some pics tomorrow as we should be pulling the engine as long as it is not too damm cold!

Where abouts are you located I have a spair bench seat in great shape I'm in fl. Don't know if it's worth it to you to ship this thing .let me know

got started on the teardown it is fairly solid. it will need inner fenders a rad support and drivers floor pan up front in the rear we will do 1/4 panels to replace some repairs from the mid 70's. it will go back to a bench seat if we can find one that's worth fixing. the motor will get rebuilt with a couple of upgrades and my buddy Leaburn will do the electrical and trim work as always. I will pop some pics tomorrow as we should be pulling the engine as long as it is not too damm cold!

COLD!!! And i thought i was alone with that stuff lol, I know im getting a little older but i didn't know that it was colder and longer winters when your age progressed, oh boy i cant imagine winter when im in my 70's lol... You'll get things done, its a matter of mind over matter, GO for it! don't forget pictures! :)

ok here are some progress shots. shop is a little messy thoughDSC04682.jpgDSC04683.jpgDSC04684.jpgDSC04685.jpgDSC04686.jpgDSC04687.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DSC04688.jpgDSC04690.jpgDSC04691.jpgDSC04692.jpgDSC04693.jpgDSC04694.jpgDSC04695.jpgDSC04697.jpghere are a couple more on my new toy

- - - Updated - - -

it looks really tough but it is not too bad the only floor that is shot is the drivers floor mostly from a really bad repair! the cowl on the drivers side needs some love too! but the frame rails and other floor pans are really good. once the rest of the crap is torn out and the clean up begins it will look much nicer. it is due for full 1/4's which will clean up the rear. it has a mint power bulge hood and a good drivers door the passenger door is solid but has a groove in it from accident damage. more pics to follow.

I like the new toy. the car that is. the jack is nice too.

Little by little, the car doesn't look that bad I've seen and had much worse its deff fixable can't wait till mine gets striped , good luck and by the way nice lift

DSC04711.jpgDSC04712.jpgDSC04714.jpgDSC04713.jpgDSC04715.jpgDSC04716.jpg
well here are a couple more pics, the dash is out and crusty! the engine is a little crusty too! ha! it is in pretty good shape though almost no taper and just a bit of out of round. those stock low comp pistons have to go though.

Looks about the same condition as mine is. I've got the same style steering wheel.

things are going well. I would like to have most of it done by fall. it will depend on other projects and the owners cash flow.

Auto Transport Service
Back