• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Dodge Charger Rallye project

Migsbig

Local time
9:05 AM
Reaction score
Finally getting started on a long awaited project, factory 340 powered 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye. Been saving up, scraping together, trading and flipping parts to finally put together my childhood dream of owning one of these. Having nearly 25 1971-72 Chargers over the years, this sweetheart of a car was found here in California after the second owner and son decided they could not do the work and decided to sell. Came with built sheet, numbers matching everything 98k original miles and even has paperwork the original owner, which was a little old lady from Washington. It was a hard car to find as I was looking for blue car with no vinyl top, no hide-away headlight and a clean body to work with. Sadly with bad health and constant work conditions always coming up, it sat for 10 years before I could get started on it. Luckily one of my best friends Mike out of Watsonville, CA decided I needed a hand and made me a buddy's offer to get the car going. SWEET! He knew my health kept me from a lot of things, but said he wanted to see me in a done muscle car for once and said we could whip this car together for cheap if we worked together. So here is my car and will be posting pics and info on it as we do the work and inch through the progress.

IMG_6700.JPG
IMG_6701.JPG
IMG_6702.JPG
IMG_6703.JPG

Last edited:
My plans are for a full ground up resto with personal touches to make the car standout, but retain a vintage muscle car look. Unfortunatly, being stored outdoors in a marina was not kind to it.

100_8840-1.JPG
100_88394.JPG

a personal favorite of mine too , right down to the Blue/black interior , love it

Thanks everyone, hope it goes smoothly too. I will be uploading more pics when I get home from the ‘blood hut’ tonite.

Here is the engine that will be going into it. Mopar Performance crate 360 Magnum engine pushing nearly 400hp. By the time it's installed, it will look totally different from how you see it now.

100_8841.JPG
100_8842.JPG

Car has some rust, but not much. Next stop, body shop.
IMG_0137.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0160.JPG

Looks good what's the deal with the old 340 you keeping it around?

Yes I’m keeping all my original parts, including the hood (in-case someone else down the road ask’s). The motor would probably run, but since I drive kinda ‘vicious’ I’m sure to grenade the numbers matching drivetrain, even if the car was a 96k mile survivor. Easier to put it away and save it for I ever decide the stock 240hp will be a welcomed amount. This crate engine was sold to me with only 800 miles on it as they said it was not enough hp for their car, and they went with a modified viper V10 to really make it roar.

Came back with a few areas of rust I was not expecting to find it in trunk lip, trunk edge, lower quarter panel, rear pass floor pan. The roof was not bad and totally savable. Startedadding primer sealer to keep the 'rust bugs' from coming back.
IMG_2499 (1).JPG
IMG_2500 (2).JPG
IMG_2532 (1).JPG
IMG_2531 (2).JPG
IMG_2501 (2).JPG

Looks good
That rust not so much I have a few pieces of metal cut out of another car I took for my 72 rallye but I don't think I need all of them I'll look and let you know . Should make life easier to patch that section

Auto Transport Service
Back