• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 GTX Horn Beep Beep or not?

Robliepse

Local time
10:24 AM
Reaction score
Working on a true 1972 Roadrunner GTX and I noticed that it has two horns ( one on each side) but not the Roadrunner Beep Beep horn. Did the 1972 RR GTX leave the factory with the Beep Beep horn or was it an option?

I'm 99% pretty sure it left the factory with 2 horns, both painted black. One was a high tone, the other low tone, just as it would have been if it were a Satellite Sebring. They would have been mounted on the front fenders, just above the head light area, kind of hidden from plain view.

Maybe someone on here has one and could post some pictures for you. (and to verify what I posted)

I've been wrong before.

Hope this helps.

Meep Meep horn was RR only. Not GTX, Satellite or Sebring. All years.

- - - Updated - - -

God my brain hurts. You said 72 RR/GTX. Have a 72 RR/GTX in the shop that has the meep meep horn which I think would be correct for 72-4 RR/GTX. 67-71 GTX would have the Hi/Lo horns. I'll try and stop confusing myself and you all as well.

I am now confused as I thought a GTX and a RR were different....were they a combined package in 72-74?

All 72+ Roadrunners had the Beeper horns. In 1972 the GTX became an "option" of the Roadrunner thus creating the "dual-badge cars". So technically yes, your car should have a Beep Beep horn. But out of curiosity....when was your car made? Because it could have been that if it was an early dual badge, the worker putting the horns in saw the GTX badge, and did what he had always done, throw on the high-low dual horns. Just a theory, but stranger things have happened at the factory.

If the harness has two horn terminals wouldn't there be two horns? Or would they leave one terminal dangling?

If they didn't have one type of horn on the line...I'm sure it would have gotten the other. My parents ordered cars, they came with different steering wheels, etc, from what had been ordered.

My late in production year 72 RR GTX has one beep beep and one low high never have been removed to my knowledge. Beep beep on driver side.

Here is where the horn goes on a 72. Pass side in front of the core support. 71 it is was pass side in back of the core support but they moved to in front of the core to make room for the vapor canister in 72.

Attachments

• 20140923_223354.jpg
    20140923_223354.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
Here is a picture of what I was talking about in my first post. It's hard to describe the location, and they say a picture is worth a thousand words................

Thanks Mark.

For ’72 thru ’74 there was not a “GTX” option that could be ordered as such, the option that made them the dual named/dual badged “Road Runner GTX” was the 440 engine option only. All “U” coded, and the hand full of “V” coded, Road Runner GTXs would have come with a single Road Runner horn. All forward lighting wire harnesses were the same for all 2 door models with provisions for two horns. Any other model would have had a standard dual tone horns. All '72 fenders have a total of 2 horn mounting locations per fender, total of four as pictured. Mine was originally installed on the pass side but in the other fender mount location than what is pictured above.
1972_Plymouth_5r-2.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

Last edited:
This has been debated to the point I dug my build sheet out to check for special coding for horns. There was no special code listed. So I am going with it is a RR with a Beep Beep horn and some one put in a regular horn to fill the space. Only have 2 locations for horn mounting both located is in post 10 but opposing fenders. This combination sounds weird and will eventually put in another beep beep as I really do not give a crap for number matching just do not try to pass your fake off to be some thing it is not.

In all my years at the dealers back them, I never saw a Road Runner (or Road Runner GTX) of any year that didn’t come from the factory with a single Road Runner horn. I do recall removing RR horns and installing pairs of standard horns at customer requests from time to time. Or adding standard horns with a switch to have both horns types available. BTW, I’ve experimented with dual RR horns in the past, very hard to adjust to tone match each other, never did liked how it sounded running two.
To clarify the ’72 mounting location, as moparmarks has indicated, the horns were moved in ’72 to forward of the core support to make room for the charcoal canister. The fenders were stamped with horn mounting holes the ’71 fenders did not have. Required the horn brackets to be changed as well so that the bolts now passed through the fenders and into treads in the brackets, short RR horn brackets ’72 on. To insure the electrical connection to the body the factory used a horn bolt with a captured washer with teeth that leave distinctive marks where they have been used. Example; as with one of my current ’72 cars with original fenders, out of the four possible locations for the horns there was only one with teeth marks. Tells me a single horn and just which location it left the factory in, besides the original paint showing.

DSC099341024x768.jpg

DSC000471024x685-1.jpg

Thanks guys,
Mine appears to be 100% original, still has the original 440 with the VIN stamped in the block and it has two non beep beep horns mounted up front just behind the head lights. I'll have to check the broadcast sheet to see if it says anything about the horn but I'm 99% sure mine left the factory without the beep beep horn.

No disrespect, will have to disagree, I don’t buy into any Road Runner ever leaving the factory with standard horns installed for any reason, never saw it. Given the fact that the Road Runner horn was the signature piece of hardware for the model, it makes no sense what so ever to build a Road Runner without the “voice of the Road Runner”. Again, there were RR buyers who had standard horn sets installed by the dealer, either prior to delivery or after. It was very easy to do and was in every aspect very factory looking if done correctly.

Last edited:
Yeah...I would have to say the dealer probably removed the RR horn...but as I posted earlier, if it was one of the first dual badge cars to run down the line, the worker installing the horns could have seen the GTX badges and put the standard horn on by mistake. :iamwithstupid: Though for all general purposes your explanation is probably the correct one, lol!

Did not anyone retain an original window sticker or listing of standard RR items? Build sheet does not show standard vehicle components.

Thanks guys,
Mine appears to be 100% original, still has the original 440 with the VIN stamped in the block and it has two non beep beep horns mounted up front just behind the head lights. I'll have to check the broadcast sheet to see if it says anything about the horn but I'm 99% sure mine left the factory without the beep beep horn.

how can you be so sure?
are you the original owner who took delivery of the car from the dealer?

Auto Transport Service
Back