• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Plymouth Satellite quarters / side markers

Missurah

Local time
1:15 PM
Reaction score
I'm seeing quarter panels being sold online that
1. Are full quarters with the correct cutout for the 1972 side maker lights

2. Partial quarters with, what appears to be the wrong cutout for the '72 side marker lights

I just purchased a 72 Satellite that some shop replaced the quarters on many years ago. The hole for the side marker light is not there. There is a stamped recess that can be seen in the trunk, but it's the wrong size, is not cutout and is in slightly the wrong location. I can't say that it really looks correct for '71 side marker lights either.

Any suggestions other than new correct quarters?

To follow up on my posting for the 1972 Plymouth Satellite side marker lights: I have a few options
1. Risk buying some non-AMD sheet metal: quarters or the rear section that has the correct recess and cutout for the 1972 side marker light. I hear non-AMD metal is questionable at best.
2. Buy AMD 1971 quarters and section in the correct cutout for the 1972 from my parts car. The sections are not perfect but they could work. I think it would be painful to cut into a nice fresh AMD quarter panel. The 1971s quarters are pricey
3. I found NOS 1972 quarters that are very pricey
4. Use the AMD 1971 quarters and find 1971 fenders and lights to match. The 1971 is way better looking than the 1972,
5. How awful of me would it be to, since this is a 318 auto car and I'm not restoring it to factory, replace the 1972 side markers, with 1968 side markers? I love the look of those. Anyone have thoughts on this? Your opinion is most welcome.

I bet the pic of the Sherman quarter panels that show the 71 side markers is just a stock photo. Its odd they'd have 71 quarters and sell them as 72 as both were 1 yr pieces with the difference being the markers. I hung full Goodmark quarters on my 71 that came from RockAuto in 2018...
When they shipped, I would not accept them till I saw them out of the box to make sure they weren't damaged. If you buy the quarters, I'd suggest you do the same and if they're wrong decline them and have them returned. Pay with a credit card and dispute the transaction ASAP before you get hit with a restocking fee upon return acceptance.

1972 was the first year for the across the board corporate side marker light.

Theoretically, you could get sections about 3-4 inches around the marker from any 1972 and later car and graft those into your already new panels.

I believe the "corporate standard" stamping is "just" a rectangle hole in the center for the light (it might have an orientation notch), and two round holes for the plastic studs.

That area rarely rusts, so you could even salvage "junk" fenders or 4 door quarter panel sections.

Go with the 71 style marker lights,the 72 and up marker lights look like something Harbor Fright sells for a utility trailer! I put 68 Charger marker lights in my 73 Charger instead of the generic 72 and up ones.

20200718_132716.jpg

20220416_150819.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back