• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Plymouth satellite worth any?

Danialz

Local time
11:32 AM
Reaction score
HI I just purchased my 1972 Plymouth satellite it's a all matching number with original color (faded now) Im the 3rd owner.after looking at the vin it was saying it's on a "High" price line. Im going to start working on it soon but before I do i was wonder if they worth any restoring it all orginal. Condition or should I go head and customize it. I don't want to ruin a good looking car if someone wants it in a original condition. Please leave a comment with what you think.

Screenshot_2017-03-29-19-21-44.jpg 20170329_165414.jpg 20170329_165407.jpg 20170329_165358.jpg 20170329_165244.jpg View attachment 408778 20170329_165206.jpg

Welcome to the coolest site on earth.
Looks like a nice car. Just need some paint?
Reality is this, you will never ever get your money out of any restoration unless it's a rare gem. Even then, it's not a given. If you like your car, and want to make it nice then do it. If you are planning on turning a profit, not going to happen unless you were given everything.

The car does look as though it would take less than most cars, still though, this hobby is an expensive one and it always cost more than one anticipates. We all have money pits. Lol

I would say you will need 10k for body and paint (minimum) in addition to whatever engine/transmission/brakes/wheels/tire/interior you plan on. Looking forward to seeing how things go.

What's she got under the hood? Let's see some pics

its not a high dollar car when restored like a runner or x would be when you finish
and also being green doesn't help it
so if you mod it up
i don't think you will effect the value that much at all.
with the right tasteful mods,you might even make it worth more then leaving it stock.

Thank you for all of your replies @BeeKool @flypaper @gdrill .it has the orginal 318 2bbl that runs pretty smooth. I bought it for 4k and the guy I bought it from didn't do any upgrades just maitnance . I have a 360 out of a motor home I thught about replacing but not till I get the suspension fully redone.I just didnt wanted to start tearing the car apart with out getting other gearheads suggestions.

I think 10K on paint is a bit much if the body is as nice as it looks.

I've had 2 estimates on mine this week.

Single stage same color- one was $3500 and one was $2650.

One place also quoted base/clear at $4300 including cut and buff.

All this was down to bare metal, jambs and trunk gutter, but not engine compartment, as I just got it back together after doing that myself, plus two small dings and one very minor sideswipe.

I think I've seen that car on FL CL.

400 car?

A 318 2v car ain't gonna have people knockin' on your door. IF it were an unrestored, survivor in top shape ? Yeah, leave it. But, since it's getting body/paint, my thought as mentioned before, is a RR style clone. Whatever, you do, do what YOU like.

Cool car ,build it how you want it have fun with it! By the way the other green ssp is already sold . I know the old owner

If you do swap for a 360 or have questions about it, chat me up! I've done it to my 67 belvedere that came with a factory 318! Lots to know! Good car for a resto-mod.

I like 340's myself. It's a good car to make as you want. Looks like a keeper.

I just picked up a 72 satellite also !luckily my wasn't green , I mean green is ok if you like green lol.
it's an original B5 blue car, Arizona car, I paid $6500 and it's not the original 318. Mine is also a high price line car.
Someone built up another 318 a little and dropped it in, 4 bbl, headers and a posi rear ended and maybe it's bored over because it seems pretty peppy for a 318.

It's whatever you want it to be man, don't worry about what it will be worth because if you do your in the wrong hobby lol I have already spent $2500 on mine in the 2 weeks I've had it, 4 new tires, new exhaust system, drive shaft rebalanced, new yoke and u-joints, new water pump, hoses, belts blah blah blah lol and the car is still worth maybe $6500!

IMG_2219.JPG IMG_2223.JPG IMG_2225.JPG IMG_2233.JPG

@ledman thats good looking car.I'm not a big fan of that green anyway.the paint on the car is probably the last thing I'll do...I want to get/build a decent drive train before I hit up on cosmetics.hopefully my car look as good as yours one day.

Looks like you got a great starting point. Your car is about a two on the general collectible scale, and I would say about a four on the Mopar scale. It's a 318 Satellite with bench seats, no console, basic wheels, and... green in and out. Can't get much worse than that unless you are really into green cars. But the good news is you've got a 72 and there's plenty of used and re-pop parts to build it into something awesome.

The biggest challenge with green, or blue, interiors is they only look good with green/blue or white exteriors. If you want a color other than that, you'll need to change the interior color. I would also ditch the bench seat up front and change to buckets with a console shifter, but that's just me.

As for the drivetrain, I learned a long time ago that if you're not staying stock, buy the biggest and best engine you can, which for me has always meant getting a 440. I know too many guys with 318 cars who drop a couple of grand into going to a 340 or 360, and then a few years later decide to go to a big block and they find out most of those $$$$ they blew on the small block can't be recovered and sell a $3,000 engine for $750. I prefer to spend my money once and get the most bang I'll ever need.

As for paint and body, check your local craigslist for pros who do work from home. You get the same quality as you would from the shop they work at for half as much and twice as fast. :)

@Bruzilla I have 360 with a 650 carb I probably end up replacing it with this one .but this engine runs fine so I might have this 318 run till it dies then replace it.I'm not turning it into show car I just want some thing I can drive around.

Auto Transport Service
Back