• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Road Runner 4 speed pinch hitter

Outlaw525

Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
Well after almost 20 years of my right foot, it's time for my 1971 Road Runner to get a face lift. It's been a great car but the 383 finally gave it up. The makings for a 493 just came back from the machine shop. It's getting Edelbrock heads and a Sniper injection. Also in the works is a new trans, new tires and little TLC.

RR5 (2).jpg

I picked up this '72 400 4 speed car from a fellow FBBO member to fill in the gap while the '71 is down. It recently came out of Idaho, but I have a little old history of racing against this car back in the early 90's at Woodburn, OR in the 4 speed class. It has big fender flares and is a little rough around the edges, needs some minor mechanical fixes but runs good and has solid bones. Here are the before and after pics of a couple weeks of work of cleaning, polishing, fixing and raiding the parts stash. Interior still needs some work.
So far:
A little paint and alot of buffing
Tires and wheels
Rear springs
Shocks
Swaybar bushings
Yellow headlights
Decals
Rear wing
M/T valve covers

Before:
72 RR1.jpg
72 RR2.jpg
72 RR4.jpg
72 RR5.jpg
72 RRE.jpg

After:

72 RR7.jpg
72 RR8.jpg
72 RR9.jpg
72 RRE2.jpg

Yet to come:
Distributer and coil
Chin spoiler
Rear window louvers
Clean up engine compartment wiring.

It's got that 70's vibe and I plan to just drive it the way it is. Nice to have a 4 speed car again.

Last edited:
Love those black 72s!!
Looks like it has an intact grill too, which all by itself doubles the value of a lot of rollers out there

Yeah, the grill is in pretty good shape, no cracks or missing pieces, center section is a little warped under the emblem. And yes it has multiple coats of paint on it. I'm leaving it alone for now, too fragile and valuable to mess with.

I hand sanded the one I purchased for weeks and weeks so as not to damage it, many layers of paint over the factory original finish. Was quite a workout but it was worth it. I prefer the original silver argent look.

Not sure I could go the bubble quarters. They are hard enough to park in original form and a night mare to pull into a garage until you get use to it.

Looks like your hard works paying off mate ... loving the '72 ...
And its definitely an " Oh So '70s" winner with me :thumbsup:

The weather was good this weekend and I gave the '72 one more coat of wax. Now to get the interior finished. It's got bumps and bruises all over but cleaned up pretty good. My buddy said it looks like an old beat up bar fighter with a bad attitude. Or maybe that was me he was talking about...……

72 RR10.jpeg
72 RR16.jpeg
72 RR18.jpg
72 RR14.jpeg

Love the black 72! Where did you get the rear window louvers, and how was the fitment?

Rear window louvers were a factory option. Not sure if the after market furnishes them.

just on 71

There were couple of manufacturers for those, ones more correct than the others, one of them through 71wingcars. Dunno if they could be ordered yet

Last edited:
just on 71

There were couple of manufacturers for those, ones more correct than the others, one of them through 71wingcars. Dunno if they could be ordered yet
You do know they will fit a 72 also with no problem if one really wants them.

And to think all I did was compliment the Backlight Louvers...:drama::lol:

I do agree the factory pieces, and those made by Dayclona, are better looking than the aftermarket ones for sure.

Auto Transport Service
Back