• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Road Runner grill paint

barnfind

Local time
4:10 AM
Reaction score
Seems to be alot of variance in what the correct grill paint is after a net search. Mine looks original, and seems to be a darker argent. Looking at the edges and back of the grill I have no reason to believe it's been resprayed. Anyone know the correct colors? Thanks in advance.

also still looking for clips, screws, center grill mounts.
20180220_132436.jpg
20180220_132423.jpg

Thanks, I didn't find that thread in my search, but did find the B3 cars write up on the lighter argent paint. Paint on it's way!:thumbsup:

B3 cars write up? Can you share a link? Never saw an original ’72 grille with light argent silver paint, see a lot of restored cars with their grille’s painted Argent silver, it’s not correct. To be clear the pictured grille parts I posted to that Nest thread are NOS, clearly not argent silver.

Last edited:
I saved a few pics from it, not original! There is a post in the thread from the RR nest above on it. Way to light of a color.

124FinishedGrilleAssembly.jpg
125FinishedGrilleAssembly.jpg

I have a 72 Roadrunner grill to repaint also, so I just did a search to find and buy the SEM 39023 paint while the getting is still good.

Is that the same paint to be used on a '71, does anyone know? It's called "Driftwood metallic"?

What's correct for a 72 satellite grill? This same color or where they different?

What's correct for a 72 satellite grill? This same color or where they different?
I'm pretty sure it was the same color for the whole grill. If I'm correct, a RR would have a gray around the grill with black in the center(?)

I painted my grille a shade too light when I restored it a few years ago see photo. I like it but know it’s not correct.
2E325D62-7542-4419-BEF8-F6B9FCD4A76C.jpeg
So I have been trying to find a seller online that still has the SEM 39023, no luck. Hey 69b3rt did you find any available?
2EC99E94-D003-45CB-84D7-4A9E057A1407.jpeg

Yeah actually ordered it from amazon over the weekend and they canceled the order this morning, stated product discontinued. Ordered it from another online seller this morning, this afternoon they refunded the order.

Check with a local automotive paint store that’s part of a chain. A local Wesco Autobody Supply store was able to track down a couple of cans for me last summer on the shelfs of one or two of its sister stores in other parts of the state.

Thanks 72Roadrunnergtx, I am working that angle too. I will update if I locate any cans.

I ordered two can on the weekend from ToolTopia and they are on their way.
Ron
Yeah actually ordered it from amazon over the weekend and they canceled the order this morning, stated product discontinued. Ordered it from another online seller this morning, this afternoon they refunded the order.

Hope you guys have better success, i ordered thru ToolTopia on Monday, got a email confirmation and then a cancellation yesterday afternoon. I called ToolTopia today and they said "it's discontinued and dont have any stock".

Hope you guys have better success, i ordered thru ToolTopia on Monday, got a email confirmation and then a cancellation yesterday afternoon. I called ToolTopia today and they said "it's discontinued and dont have any stock".

Yup, my package just showed up today. The cap on can does match my grill really close. When I had seen the name driftwood, I was thinking it would have to much brown in the color. I was pleasantly surprised how close the color matches.
Just keep Google searching SEM 39023, hopefully you will find some.

My order has Fed Ex info. for them to be here Friday
Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back