• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 tailgate problem

willem

Local time
2:05 PM
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a problem with the tailgate of my 1972 Dodge Coronet Wagon. Every time i try to open it vertically - like tilt it downwards, the mechanism also disconnects the hinge on the right side - the one that is supposed to open only when i want to open it horizontally. So from time to time the door almost falls out of the car, pretty dangerous with a door as heavy as that!

Also, another problem is that, when i manage to open it vertically, it's very difficult to get it closed again! the upper left corner of the door slams into some kind of pillar in the hinge.

I can imagine this all sounds a bit complicated, so i have attached a few pictures of the situation. Does anyone have an idea what this can be? The door itself, and the car, are straight for as far as i can tell. Can the hinge be aligned maybe?

20180708_174356.jpg 20180708_171454.jpg 20180708_174240.jpg 20180708_171521.jpg

Have you cleaned all your latches? Take them off and degrease them, then lubricate them up again. Play with them to get them working freely.

I've had to do same thing on one of my trucks

Take pix of how all your rods run before you take it apart so you can put it back the same way

Last edited:
Ok, i will try that this weekend - thanks :)

One thing though: If you look at the third picture from the left, you can see a knob that is supposed to click into a opening on the door (the black square thing on the bottom of the picture. Those two are totally misaligned. Is there a way to correct this?

Auto Transport Service
Back