• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Charger upper control arms - new style?

Cudatali

Local time
4:08 AM
Reaction score
Hello, I'm working on a 1973 Charger that was involved in a collision. It bent the upper control arm and today we received the new control arms. The problem I have is that the original control arms are shaft style and the new ones have the bushings pressed into the arms where I would assume is would require individual bolts vs the cross shaft? Or is it just the wrong part? Can't seem to find any new arms that use the shaft, all seem to be the style I received. The new arms come from Classic Performance Products but didn't have any instructions or additional hardware to convert. Any advice appreciated.

Looks like no one has a answer for you . I'm sure that the replacements you got are gonna be different than your originals.Are yours rebuildable ? I love how these big companies say the parts are for your car when the clearly are not. Burns my *** when they do that. Give it some time and maybe others will chime in with a answer. Welcome to the site by the way.You can learn allot here.

upload_2019-6-19_0-18-18.png

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/73-roadrunner-upper-control-arm.82310/
5 years later their catalog is still incorrect. Those arms fit up to 72 b-body and up to 74 e-body.
It appears no one repops those arms. you will have to find used ones.

Last edited:
It's also real fun pressing those bushings in and/or out around the pivot shaft.

I have a thread about how I did it here somewhere.

I may have a pair of arms in my stash as well, but $38 aint a bad price

.....they are different left to right

Thanks for the responses. I since learned about the two different control arms depending on model year. I already contacted the company who claims to "have never heard of this before" LOL I ordered a used pair on Ebay and new bushings, ball joint to make it good. thanks for all the advice! I'm sure I'll get my money back from Classic.

Thanks for digging that up

We should probably also say that "sometime" during late 73 production the deign changed to a press in UBJ

so be careful or at least aware so you don't end up with mix matched arms or ball joints you can't use

It's also real fun pressing those bushings in and/or out around the pivot shaft.

I have a thread about how I did it here somewhere.

I may have a pair of arms in my stash as well, but $38 aint a bad price
By any chance do you have 73 upper arms for sale?

I have a pair of what I believe are '74's.

Was kind of holding on to those just in case.

Are the ball joints pressed in on those? Any chance you could send me pictures?

Auto Transport Service
Back