• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 dodge charger Mopar XHD leaf springs

Texas charger 73

Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
so i replaced my worn out springs on back of my 73 dodge Charger.. I went with Mopar XHD heavy duty springs.. Can i use stock shocks or do i need something longer? other than Bilsteins what is another good shock for the street.. i would like something stiff,but not rock solid

newwheels1.jpg

You only need longer shocks with the super stock springs.

How do you like the springs? I have a set of XHD A body springs left over from another project, and they look pretty stiff, the leaves are very thick.

How do you like the springs? I have a set of XHD A body springs left over from another project, and they look pretty stiff, the leaves are very thick.
i like them.. my before and after pic. its not drastic, but its not sagging no more either

mopar xhd.jpg

I have the KYB Excel-G shocks on my '73. I like them; firm ride but you don't feel evey little bump and pothole. They are much better than the KYB Gas-A-Adjust shocks on my '69; they weren't bad at first but now the ride is very harsh.

so i replaced my worn out springs on back of my 73 dodge Charger.. I went with Mopar XHD heavy duty springs.. Can i use stock shocks or do i need something longer? other than Bilsteins what is another good shock for the street.. i would like something stiff,but not rock solid

View attachment 964972
Did you just use 72' and down springs, or 73' and up ones?

Thanks!

So you just replaced the shock plates to convert to the non-iso setup?

I wasn't sure if the spring dimensions were the same between the years or not.
No I just bought energy suspension poly pads to replace the rubber and were a perfect fit.

Auto Transport Service
Back