• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Plymouth Roadrunner

Daddythunda

Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
My father passed away a few weeks ago and I inherited his 1973 Roadrunner. The car was not driven for a year due to his condition and not being able to drive. I cleaned it up and have been running it.

When he was driving it the Temp and Oil pressure gauge stopped working, we had our mechanic replace the voltage limiter which we thought was the problem but they still do not work.

We also wanted to replace the radiator with something a little more modern because it tends to run a little on the hotter side.

I want to keep this car and have it running solid, any help would be greatly appreciated.

166117815_169793638311691_7794086687621398817_n.jpg

Nice car.

(Assuming the car is stock and the radiator isn't damaged) i would probably start off by flushing/cleaning the cooling system and installing a new thermostat. That's just a couple bucks and might fix the "running a little on the hotter side" issue. If not you can still try the more expensive / invasive stuff...

Welcome from Connecticut. That's a sweet ride. Love the color combination.

Thank you for the complements, it is a great car. I am planning on spending a weekend soon changing the oil, flushing the radiator, and new brake fluid. I took automotive in high school for a few years, so I can mange some basics. I know my fathers friend from high school owns a part store where I live and he rebuilt the engine to give it more power, but I do not know the specifics. So I am not sure if the stock cooling system can keep up, I was considering a new radiator and also possibly moving to an electric fan?

I know my fathers friend from high school owns a part store where I live and he rebuilt the engine to give it more power, but I do not know the specifics.

If you still have overheating issues after flushing the cooling system and installing a new thermostat i would talk to this guy.
He built the engine / knows the car so he probably knows what to do then...

If you still have overheating issues after flushing the cooling system and installing a new thermostat i would talk to this guy.
He built the engine / knows the car so he probably knows what to do then...
Thanks, I am going to see him tomorrow about a new battery, my uncle was in from Alabama for the viewing and we stopped for gas and the car would not start with the headlights on. My main concern is the gauges, I am very uncomfortable driving not knowing the temp.

That's a great looking car, it shows off well in white. Thanks for sharing, let's see some more. :)

You should go to the welcome forum and let everyone else know that you've arrived, Daddythunda.

That’s a beautiful bird you have and nice to have the family history as well. Your going to be putting lots of smiles on people’s faces cruising around in that car. :xscuseless::thumbsup::thumbsup: :luvplace: :steering: :welcome:

F0840444-D103-4795-91A6-05C008F518D0.jpeg E96FC8B9-24A8-4252-9756-B9950DA23F3A.jpeg C977F1C0-E3E5-4773-B048-302B5974CBC9.jpeg 98B7F462-5477-4C85-AF5A-53586354F530.jpeg 6247432A-EE02-4EFA-B156-C9A4A39D87C7.jpeg 0A2774A6-C501-49F9-B8AC-17E950D89348.jpeg E6BA2A05-5A51-45D8-9F33-E7977301E6F5.jpeg 3BCD01A7-BA33-42D9-8F52-8654A7D3F721.jpeg C3DB5F0F-43DF-4BA0-8A78-662C2233B063.jpeg 33367890-5BA2-4A2A-A031-B9ACE4CC1748.jpeg

My father passed away a few weeks ago and I inherited his 1973 Roadrunner. The car was not driven for a year due to his condition and not being able to drive. I cleaned it up and have been running it.

When he was driving it the Temp and Oil pressure gauge stopped working, we had our mechanic replace the voltage limiter which we thought was the problem but they still do not work.

We also wanted to replace the radiator with something a little more modern because it tends to run a little on the hotter side.

I want to keep this car and have it running solid, any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 1100367

Really nice car,
Welcome to FBBO. Did your mechanic check voltage at both oil pressure and temperature sending units with a volt meter. And your grounds are good. That’s where I would start. Just a quick temp gauge check would be touch the wire going to the temp sending unit to ground and see if the temp gauge needle moves. (Should peg the gauge) Both sending units are easy to replace and fairly cheap.

Also check battery terminals and make sure they’re clean and making good connections.

Last edited:

View attachment 1100367
Let me commend you for your dedication to keeping the car in your family. In years to come you'll appreciate that decision 1000 times over.

Battery cables corrode so I would inspect them to see if any oxidation has crept in from a crack in the insulation or one of the ends. Also be sure your ground cable is clean and secured.

Ditto those who suggested having the radiator cleaned/ flushed. I'd be tempted to bring it to a radiator shop and have it boiled out and tested before buying a new one.

Nice car!! enjoy

Thank you for all the advice, I did notice that the battery cables had some corrosion, I will take care of that and see if it changes anything. We went from 70 and nice to 30 and possible snow tonight... Hopefully the weekend is better so i can spend some time on it. Here is a picture of the rear, I need to take more pictures, these were taken at the viewing... I spent 2 days with my Uncle detailing every inch of the car.

Inked164955666_771855990137998_3250905787117230926_n_LI.jpg

Nice car Daddythunda, looks great!! Prayers to the family. Maybe look into "fail open" tstats for the car as insurance on engine, parts guy will help: yes flush rad & system definately: was dash cluster voltage regulator looked at/replaced for gauges? Check bulkhead connectors for corrosion on pins. Just inputs for ya. LOOKS GREAT, DRIVE THE TREAD OFF THEM TYRES & SEE YOU IN CARLISLE (?).

Nice car Daddythunda, looks great!! Prayers to the family. Maybe look into "fail open" tstats for the car as insurance on engine, parts guy will help: yes flush rad & system definately: was dash cluster voltage regulator looked at/replaced for gauges? Check bulkhead connectors for corrosion on pins. Just inputs for ya. LOOKS GREAT, DRIVE THE TREAD OFF THEM TYRES & SEE YOU IN CARLISLE (?).
Actually it is funny you mention that, I took off that Saturday of Chrysler Nationals, my Fiance and I are planning on going, it's only a little over an hour drive.

Sweet!! Bring cash & a large enough vehicle to carry your "toys" for the "BEEP BEEP" home, which appears to be not much needed, looks nice!! 1hr drive, well no hotel needed, daily trips, NICE!!

Sorry about your father. That’s a beautiful car! Enjoy it. I’m glad you are keeping it in your family.

Thanks, I am going to see him tomorrow

Did he give advice regarding your overheating and gauge problems or are you still struggling to find out whats going on / what to do?

My condolences to you and your family on the loss of your father.

Welcome to FBBO from Georgia.

Gorgeous car.

So I was removing the battery and the parts store was closed, so I was placing it back till they reopened and the following happened, I purchased a new cable and have it installed. If I remove the bottom radiator hose and run a garden hose through the top, is that OK to flush the system?

E83A356A-840F-48F7-90AF-3160E5A81567.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back