• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Road Runner front seat buttons

John Hogan

Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
Recovering my seats with a kit from PUI ( I know some people don't like them but I am happy so far and 2 weeks vs estimated 8 months from Legendary )

The wifey and I have redone the upper and lower rear seat along with the lower front buckets. Pushed the buttons through the cover and the foam and attached them with no problems. Surprisingly all of the factory seat foam is in great shape and all the covers so far have fit great and come out really tight.

However, when we went to do the backs of the front buckets the stock foam ranges from about 2 1/2" thick below the headrest area to about 4" thick toward the bottom of the seat. So no way to push the buttons through and secure them.

PUI tech support said to use a steamer and get the foam really hot to compress it enough for the tabs of the buttons to poke through and be secured. I'm thinking that will work for the top 4 buttons bit compressing 4" thick foam down to 1 1/2" or so to get the lower 2 buttons secured is gonna be REALLY tough.

For you experts with a '73 who did your own upholstery what was your secret?

Legendary has listing wire, like the factory to secure the buttons on the seat back covers.

That's the only part of the operation I couldn't do/didn't fell comfortable doing.

I paid a local upholstery shop $45 per seat back to do it for me.

He did say he put them on inside out to start, and "finagled" them.

Legendary has listing wire, like the factory to secure the buttons on the seat back covers.

That's the only part of the operation I couldn't do/didn't fell comfortable doing.

I paid a local upholstery shop $45 per seat back to do it for me.

He did say he put them on inside out to start, and "finagled" them.
Thanks, that's interesting. PUI has a listing wire below the headrest but no vertical listing wires along the bolsters. When I contacted them they said the buttons held down the vinyl and the vertical listing wires weren't needed. Guess I see why people prefer Legendary!

Auto Transport Service
Back