• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Roadrunner rear drum backing plate color

Builderguy

Builderguy
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
Simple question that I can't find a definite answer to. Was the rear drum brake backing plate on a 1973 Roadrunner natural metal, phosphate (grey or black), or painted semi-gloss black like the axle housing. I have seen all three answers given. By the rust pattern and lack of any paint residue my inclination would be natural metal (like the drum) but maybe the phosphate metal also rusts pretty evenly. IDK so I am asking. Trying to make as original as possible. Thanks in advance.

Sorry can't help you, but I know how frustrating it is. I'm trying to get definitive answers on the finishes of the front suspension components for my 74 Charger. You ask one person and the upper control arm is black and the next says it's natural. Everything I find is either for an e-body or 2nd gen charger. Part of the problem might be that different finishes were used for the same components.

Simple question that I can't find a definite answer to. Was the rear drum brake backing plate on a 1973 Roadrunner natural metal, phosphate (grey or black), or painted semi-gloss black like the axle housing. I have seen all three answers given. By the rust pattern and lack of any paint residue my inclination would be natural metal (like the drum) but maybe the phosphate metal also rusts pretty evenly. IDK so I am asking. Trying to make as original as possible. Thanks in advance.

There were flakes of black paint on the backing plates on my charger.

Personally I'd just paint them gloss rustoleum black if I were you.

They generally were a material that looked like phosphate, but it was a grey-green material that is no longer allowed by the epa.

Auto Transport Service
Back