• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Charger EFI Ready Fuel Tank Ideas ?

Gold Rush

Local time
6:10 AM
Reaction score
I've searched and searched but can't seem to find a '74 Charger tank ready for internal electric fuel pump to feed EFI.
Do I have to go custom build, modify my existing almost new tank, or have I just plain missed one already out there during my searches?

Any help would be really appreciated!!

You can modify your new tank or buy one like BeepBeep stated.

I went with an efi tank w/pump for 71-72 Charger and went right in my 74 Charger. Plays nice with sniper system.

C5EF9A67-A67F-4571-91D9-7F6FD910767B.jpeg 534146EE-66A5-4342-9D1B-DAF2F8526F0B.jpeg DE44CB70-B186-4439-A80D-DFA2EC535CC3.jpeg 279D1A90-9654-4E59-99B2-5737A5E8A6A8.jpeg 6723F33C-4255-476E-B9DD-D7BF53DF7DF3.jpeg 0EDF2BEF-5E74-4076-B8BA-C64C5D7F2B4A.jpeg 7A1DF3E6-F8E6-4D5F-BB2F-78ABC4C7ECE3.jpeg 12D8C3A8-7E1D-4126-9B7C-0AAA2675D86B.jpeg

Thanks to everyone for your help. I thought losing the '74 hump would not be an issue but still didn't know if the tank would fit in the space.

64fury74charger; which fuel pump did you choose. From the one photo you posted I expect it's one of the higher flow rate pumps. I'm running a pretty much stock 400 so the 200lph unit should more than satisfy my needs. Do you know what psi these pumps produce? I'm leaning toward the SNIPER myself but would sure like to know the PSI. Holley seems to fixate on that some in their install instructions.

Thanks again for helping me.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I thought losing the '74 hump would not be an issue but still didn't know if the tank would fit in the space.

64fury74charger; which fuel pump did you choose. From the one photo you posted I expect it's one of the higher flow rate pumps. I'm running a pretty much stock 400 so the 200lph unit should more than satisfy my needs. Do you know what psi these pumps produce? I'm leaning toward the SNIPER myself but would sure like to know the PSI. Holley seems to fixate on that some in their install instructions.

Thanks again for helping me.
I have the lowest number it comes with and I have a fuel pressure gauge on the tbi inlet that consistently reads around 85 psi going in and the sniper has a built in regulator that’s supposed to be around 58.5 psi. My motor is also pretty much stock 78 400 with headers and weiand hi rise intake. Hope this helps you get some ideas.
:xscuseless:
:luvplace:

9D73C7D3-45A7-4EAC-ADB8-31A0AD31DD56.jpeg 5171FB0B-D27B-4185-AE34-A4B7A1353272.jpeg 0BF153AF-AC85-4E5F-9B6B-9E2AA964C0B8.jpeg 98C422B8-9ACB-4481-B11D-B75CA8959F6E.jpeg 8C5C9105-0122-4E53-97AA-40D26B4853AC.jpeg

Thank You so much!! That is exactly what I needed to know. Your photos are very helpful also!!

64fury74charger, could I impose on you for another favor. What is the air cleaner base diameter on the SNIPER EFI. When the time comes I'd sure like to keep the dual snorkel air cleaner I have on top of my Thermalquad carburetor. Might have to come up with an adapter if they aren't a mate.

64fury74charger, could I impose on you for another favor. What is the air cleaner base diameter on the SNIPER EFI. When the time comes I'd sure like to keep the dual snorkel air cleaner I have on top of my Thermalquad carburetor. Might have to come up with an adapter if they aren't a mate.

Standard size opening like any Edelbrock, TQ or Holley carburetor. I am looking into making an air duct and putting a cone filter inside the front bumper area but do not want to cut into the core support.

21B96FAD-B46B-46E7-B04B-1298FDEC8750.jpeg D07DD098-8183-4AAE-B3A0-DC2FE35F6567.jpeg 887C57AB-B6E2-48C7-A84D-2AE0FB188E0D.jpeg

Good evening 64fury74charger. I hate to bother you again but your build and mine are very similar and you have given me such good guidance so far...

I read about tank venting issues in several posts. How are you managing that situation? I think with the OE tank it was done via the canister so I'm guessing I'll have to address that in some fashion.

Thanks again Sir!!

Good evening 64fury74charger. I hate to bother you again but your build and mine are very similar and you have given me such good guidance so far...

I read about tank venting issues in several posts. How are you managing that situation? I think with the OE tank it was done via the canister so I'm guessing I'll have to address that in some fashion.

Thanks again Sir!!

There are 4 vent tubes on the efi tank on the left rear side. I did not use any and just have a loose fitting “vented “old locking gas cap that I put on the car about 15 years ago . Seems like it is working so far and the tank is actually dry on the outside and not seeping any fuel out. Nice not having any fuel odor at all under the *** end and zero under the hood is also nice. Hope this helps you. :thumbsup:
:xscuseless:

7FADA4C2-53DA-4DE1-9199-E064090236A5.jpeg

Thank You. Probably won't have a problem there also. My 400 is not even close to Muscle Car/ "High Performance" so the amount of fuel consumption (even at WOT) may not create a venting problem. Right now I'm still in the pondering stages and trying to chase down answers before they become issues.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Thank You. Probably won't have a problem there also. My 400 is not even close to Muscle Car/ "High Performance" so the amount of fuel consumption (even at WOT) may not create a venting problem. Right now I'm still in the pondering stages and trying to chase down answers before they become issues.

Thanks again for all your help!!

I went through a lot of stages trying to figure out how it would work before diving in. Once the decision was made then ordered the parts and put the tank and line in first and the efi was really easy. I used Lokar cables for throttle and kick down which really cleans up clutter and clunky linkage under the hood. Starting is simply letting the handheld load and turn the key. Car can sit for three months and starts right now.
:thumbsup: :lol::luvplace: :steering::steering::steering:

What You've already helped with is such a HUGE start. I may well be picking your brain again when the time comes. We want to get the Charger on the road using the conventional fuel system then once broke in a bit change to EFI.

Hopefully I'll get many chances to pass your kindness along!!

What You've already helped with is such a HUGE start. I may well be picking your brain again when the time comes. We want to get the Charger on the road using the conventional fuel system then once broke in a bit change to EFI.

Hopefully I'll get many chances to pass your kindness along!!

Thank you for the kind words. I am happy to help you with information and potential problems that I have worked through with my Charger. This car is not a trailer queen and I bought this car to thoroughly enjoy and not be afraid to experiment. I drive all my cars and that’s the only way to put some miles on and really get to know the limits of each car.
Keep me updated as you progress on your project.
:thumbsup: :luvplace: :steering: :moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley: :thankyou:

Any updates?
I'm thinking of putting an EFI tank in mine. Currently has a fuel cell in the trunk, but I want my trunk space back.
I'm thinking of using a Spectra CR10A tank ($250), with a modified Spectra FG93A 3/8" sending unit ($88 + $20 for electric bulkhead connectors) connected to a walbro pump. The 450 lph E-85 pump I plan to use is $120.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...7QUbl7y-ngLH-bw5C8enHY1Yi8SQB1c0aAkD0EALw_wcB

Likely will end up with around $500 into the setup? Maybe $187 more if I use Holleys 2.5"x8" #16-116 Hydromat.

The 1/4" return in the FG93A sending unit might (likely) need to be changed to a 5/16" or 3/8"?

Looking at the Aeromotive 340 lph tank ($650) seems like a good deal in comparison?

Last edited:
Any updates?
I'm thinking of putting an EFI tank in mine. Currently has a fuel cell in the trunk, but I want my trunk space back.
I'm thinking of using a Spectra CR10A tank ($250), with a modified Spectra FG93A 3/8" sending unit ($88 + $20 for electric bulkhead connectors) connected to a walbro pump. The 450 lph E-85 pump I plan to use is $120.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...7QUbl7y-ngLH-bw5C8enHY1Yi8SQB1c0aAkD0EALw_wcB

Likely will end up with around $500 into the setup? Maybe $187 more if I use Holleys 2.5"x8" #16-116 Hydromat.

The 1/4" return in the FG93A sending unit might (likely) need to be changed to a 5/16" or 3/8"?

Looking at the Aeromotive 340 lph tank ($650) seems like a good deal in comparison?
Just my opinion, but I would prefer to get a proper tank with the fuel pump in the tank as it keeps it cooler and helps it last longer. Also has your sending unit and all that already sorted.

However, doing your set up is a bit easier to put together and likely to work on as you can get to pump if needed.

Just my opinion, but I would prefer to get a proper tank with the fuel pump in the tank as it keeps it cooler and helps it last longer. Also has your sending unit and all that already sorted.

However, doing your set up is a bit easier to put together and likely to work on as you can get to pump if needed.

This is internal pump, like the Holley RetroFit kit for the 1970 Charger. They just don't make one for the 1971-and up charger.
https://www.holley.com/products/fue...uel_pumps/muscle_car_efi_modules/parts/12-384

Main difference is I will have a return line, not built in pressure regulator.

Any updates?

I went with the earlier complete tank after really thinking about putting a fuel cell in the trunk. Also tried to work out buying the “correct “ tank and cutting into the tank and installing pump and clearing the sending unit float. For both price and time and potentially destroying a brand new tank I went with Aeromotive tank and so far everything is playing together better than I expected.

Auto Transport Service
Back