• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Charger Rear Wheelhouse Difference

terrywalker

Local time
10:41 AM
Reaction score
Now this is something I never noticed before but maybe others have. The rear wheelhouses are different widths at the rear on each side on both of my 74 Chargers. This makes for a different gap between the wheelhouse and rear quarter panel. At first I thought maybe the rear had been hit but the seam sealer is intact. Compared both
Chargers and they're the same. See photos. Do the 71 to 73 Chargers and the different 71 to 74 B-bodies Have this same oddity? It looks strange.
Terry

Charger Blue driver Side Wheelhouse (Medium).jpg Charger Blue Wheelhouse Passenger side (Medium).jpg

they are like that all the way to 1979. i think it started in 73. couldn't tell you why, maybe something to do with the fuel tank and lines, not sure though.

It's strange. I've had my Charger for 30 years and never paid attention to the wheelhouse on either side. I actually looked closely thinking the car had been in an accident and repaired before I got it in 1987. Nope.
Terry

You are likely seeing the differences in the wheel tubs due to the original lactation of the ’71 and early ‘72 fuel tank vapor separator in the driver’s side aft wheel well. Stampings were carried through to the end of the platform.

They are the same from 71, I personally installed a 72 left wheelhouse assembly in a 74

Correct! But the right side is the same from 71-74 and the left side is the same from 71-74

You are likely seeing the differences in the wheel tubs due to the original lactation of the ’71 and early ‘72 fuel tank vapor separator in the driver’s side aft wheel well. Stampings were carried through to the end of the platform.
No fuel vapor separator in the drivers side of my 72. They are not all the same. Imagine that. Now some smart *** can tell me I am wrong.

What’s your production date? After April 1, 1972 I’d bet, when the fuel tank, fuel tank vapor separator were resigned and moved to the front of the fuel tank.

I will without problem, do a bit of research in a parts manual and you will see the part numbers are the same. I personally installed a 72 in a 74 without issue fit perfectly. I’ll upset you a bit more, the inners are the same for dodge and Plymouth. I won’t get into sedan side of things we will save that for another day! LOL

No fuel vapor separator in the drivers side of my 72. They are not all the same. Imagine that. Now some smart *** can tell me I am wrong.
The OP’s question by understanding is in regards to the asymmetrical appearance of the rear wheel wells from left to right. Fact is the left well is larger, extending reward to originally accommodate the larger fuel tank vapor separator/expansion tank that was mounted in the left rear well beginning with model year 1971 and through March 1972 (early model year 1972). If you have a ’72 with the small front mounted fuel tank vapor separator, it was built after March 1972. After moving the separator forward of the fuel tank in mid-’72 production, the same wheel well stampings were likely used through ’74.

Ok, you’re wrong.

So you saying all 73-74's had the vapor can in front of the tank and not the wheel well? I have never had a 73-74 apart that far back.

No, that’s not what I said, this thread isn’t really about the separator. It’s been many years since I’ve had my hands on a ’73 or ’74. I believe ’73 still used the small vapor separator forward of the tank, I recall a tank change for ’74, may have a different separator configuration. What I am saying is, after March ’72 there was no longer a large separator/expansion tank mounted in the left wheel well but the larger left wheel well remains.

No, that’s not what I said, this thread isn’t really about the separator. It’s been many years since I’ve had my hands on a ’73 or ’74. I believe ’73 still used the small vapor separator forward of the tank, I recall a tank change for ’74, may have a different separator configuration. What I am saying is, after March ’72 there was no longer a large separator/expansion tank mounted in the left wheel well but the larger left wheel well remains.
Larger width may have remained but the front of the well is not the same. Our early 72 has the vapor tank in front of the well and an indention in the well for it. The later 72 does not. The indention was required to allow the rear seat to fit.

Larger width may have remained but the front of the well is not the same. Our early 72 has the vapor tank in front of the well and an indention in the well for it. The later 72 does not. The indention was required to allow the rear seat to fit.

Front of the well? The early separator mounted to the rear of the left rear wheel well, aft of the wheel. Nothing to do with width, the well is extended rearward, by about 2-3” as compared to the right side well, to accommodate the ’71 and early ’72 well mounted separator.
DSC01508.JPG

'71 and early '72
71-fuel tank.PNG

Last edited:
73’s are definitely different sizes. I built custom subwoofer enclosures that fit into the trunk around the wheel wells and each one was significantly different

Auto Transport Service
Back