• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Charger SE Brougham with tachometer but with clock lens?

74ChargerSE440

Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
So, what am I looking at? A factory tachometer with a lens from the factory clock (J21 and mind the hole for the adjustment knob) which came with the factory A76 Brougham package? Or...

1974_dodge_charger_1974_dodge_charger_2443edf2-801d-4124-af02-7a77e2ac48bc-nVRXzx-22078-22079-...jpg

A76 brouchure.jpg

A76.jpg

J21.jpg

Almost a 50 year old car… anything could be changed out. I got a factory tach out of a ‘69 /6 4 door Belvedere. It had some surface rust and more fade than the rest of the instruments. So it was clearly added. That was in 1984.

Clock was part of the SE package so likely someone replaced it with a tach over the years.

I believe there were clear plastic plugs for use in clock clusters for cars that didn't get clocks.

Not sure if this applies to a tach ordered in place of a clock.

Yes that’s right. The covers are the same. The tachs came with a little plastic plug in the hole where the clock adjustment shaft would be

as mentioned… same lense mask, but tipically got a clear plastic plug ( tipically yellowed ) into the hole for tach cars.

Two lenses masks were available… the ones for the basic Rallye cluster, and the ones for Tach/clock

Zoom in this pic

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=62912.jpg

HOWEVER I have seen some cars without the hole on lense for tach cars. Dunno if lense was replaced on them or not.

Last edited:
I don’t think that piece is available as a “repro replacement piece” anywhere. But maybe at some kind of hardware store?

I don’t think that piece is available as a “repro replacement piece” anywhere. But maybe at some kind of hardware store?
O, now I see you have also discussed this on the charger.com forum extensively . So there is a chargers only community out there... :). Reasons to subscribe there as well?

Well that was my first Mopar website membrecy (Back in 2002 with a previous board which died, then that new one was created and same members become new in that one) and it was from there where my name (previously was Venezuelan_RT74) launched out on several other boards. 90% of my best Mopar friendship comes from there, but old members are being dissapearing year after year from there and new ones become members. The board is slowing down lately. At the end I think is about prefferences.

We made to get a tent on Carlisle some years. On my visit to USA back in 2008 I was there and met personally several members. We got to get a good friendship community on that board.

Then also a 3rd gen Charger board was created later and founder made me mod there. Administration/owner changed but kept my Mod status. But even with some hundred of members we are just 10 or 15 active.

FxBO is really the most active Mopar specific classic car site.

as mentioned… same lense mask, but tipically got a clear plastic plug ( tipically yellowed ) into the hole for tach cars.

Two lenses masks were available… the ones for the basic Rallye cluster, and the ones for Tach/clock

Zoom in this pic

View attachment 1398290

HOWEVER I have seen some cars without the hole on lense for tach cars. Dunno if lense was replaced on them or not.
Well, I think that if a car is produced as SE (rallye cluster as standard), with the option tachometer, but with the Brougham package (standard with clock option) will always have a hole and a plug? A kind of production line/option list inconsistency? I don't have the tachometer option on my buildsheet...

Zoom in this pic

View attachment 1398290

I think these cars were not with the Brougham package then?

Auto Transport Service
Back