• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Charger

droadenize

Local time
6:05 PM
Reaction score
Last fall my wife and I picked up a 1974 charger to work on for us.
We got lucky and found a rust free gem.
It is a base model but we don't care.
20221003_103722.jpg

Great project. Youll be done in no time!

What rubber mounts are those that you replaced on the k frame?

What rubber mounts are those that you replaced on the k frame?
Poly K Member mounts from Mancini Racing.
I cleaned everything one piece at a time and re assembled and I am torquing everything back to Factory Specs.
I also added Poly mounts on the sway bar.

20230402_150926.jpg

Brakes and new tie rod ends installed and installed sound deadener in the roof.
Rotors arre in great shape just a bit dirty.

Whichever is easier to source and most reasonable price wise for the engine. Both can get setup with stroker packages if you are so inclined.

My personal opinion on power plant.

What are your goals with the car?
Street cruiser and never have the want to go fast? 383 or stock 400

Nice street cruiser and also want some get up? 383 or 400 with a stroker crank. Keep in mind the 400 is a really nice motor to stroke. It has a larger bore than the 383 or 440.

Nice cruiser and/or strip car-440 built however fast you plan to go. Also could put a stroker crank in the 440 depending on what budget you are wanting to stay in.

I personally will never build another low deck big block without a stroker crank. Bang for buck just isn’t worth it in my opinion. The last big block I built was a stock stroke 383 with hydraulic roller cam, eddy heads and performer top end with a 750. Only made 450hp and about the same for torque.

5A2EB748-EFF3-4F25-91C5-4E4FD9F7236C.jpeg

My personal opinion on power plant.

What are your goals with the car?
Street cruiser and never have the want to go fast? 383 or stock 400

Nice street cruiser and also want some get up? 383 or 400 with a stroker crank. Keep in mind the 400 is a really nice motor to stroke. It has a larger bore than the 383 or 440.

Nice cruiser and/or strip car-440 built however fast you plan to go. Also could put a stroker crank in the 440 depending on what budget you are wanting to stay in.

I personally will never build another low deck big block without a stroker crank. Bang for buck just isn’t worth it in my opinion. The last big block I built was a stock stroke 383 with hydraulic roller cam, eddy heads and performer top end with a 750. Only made 450hp and about the same for torque.

View attachment 1448243
Only made 450 horsepower. 383's are not slugs. What horsepower number ok for street use? 450 is more than enough for the street. Yes, i know hellcats have upwards of 700 horsepower, and idiots in those cars think they are race car drivers until they spin it into a tree. Don't get me started on the v6 camaro, and mustang owners.

Like I said bang for your buck…I have far less money into a stock stroke 360 and it makes more power than that stock stroke 383 and the 383 had more expensive better flowing heads. I have a 340 stroked to 422 cubes that makes far more power and torque than the 383 and also cost less to build. It all depends on what someone wants. 450 hp is great for the street but B bodies are very heavy cars. My offered opinion was that the 383 is not the best block to start with, without adding a stroker crank. I wouldn’t ever build another solely based off of the other motors I have built and cost vs. hp/torque outcome. If it was a numbers matching restoration then maybe stick with the 383.

I plan on driving on trips or just going for a cruise. Want it more for street and handling for myself and my wife.
I have decided I will go fuel injected just for peace of mind.
I have always liked 383 BB. I find them just a good all-around engine and can be warmed quite nicely. 440 BB is just a nice torque monster and great for driving also.
Floor look a lot cleaner this was what I did before adding sound deadener.
I did this to preserve the floor it was solid and I want it to last another 40 plus yrs.
I can buy either engine where I work and my boss also has a 400 BB if I chose to go that way.
20230204_142652.jpg

20221003_103742.jpg

This is the engine and engine compartment before I did anything.
I took this pic the day I brought it home as you can see its quite clean.
Nothing was touched yet and yes it is a 318 base model but that's perfect.

Auto Transport Service
Back