• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Electronic Distributor Rebuild

Gold Rush

Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone actually replaced the shaft bushings in their V8 distributor. Mine are worn to the point the distributor fails the test.

I can't find a source for the bottom bushing at all and don't really know if I have located the correct top one.

Also, how does one go about getting the old out and new in.

Thanks a BUNCH for any help you can give me!!!

you could go to a hobbie store and get brass stock drill out the old ones and cut then install the brass stock one you made.or just call Mancini mopar parts and buy one

Top and bottom bushings are the same. Same in fact than SBs too. Can't tell if the same than /6s

Bushing must be graphited ( selflubricated ). Don't ask how I know it!:mad:

Yes oil lite. Cant think of one with a different top style usually just a oil hole. Unless he means where it sticks up a 1/8??? Forgot the measurement have a jig for it. Getting them out is easy, long punch gently like a bearing race. I have a tool I use with my press to press them back in, then ream and burnish them. Might get lucky and get them straight right from the start.

Last edited:
Has anyone actually replaced the shaft bushings in their V8 distributor. Mine are worn to the point the distributor fails the test.
Yeah, I have...lol, fifty years ago!
Not familiar with a 'late model' like a 74. Does it even have bushings in it? Heard some don't.

A few various ways to remove/install bushings, probably best to research how to do it. Then, pick the best way for you. The housing can easily get screwed up, if done wrong.
'Correct bushing', or oil-lite bushing close to the right size. Measure the old one, for reference.

Last evil thought...if one is wore out, the other is...too!

They are pressed in the aluminum casing with oil ports around them.

Oil-lite bronze bushing. Believe that's what you mean.

yes... that's it... dunno what it was the correct therm in english

Yeah, I have...lol, fifty years ago!
Not familiar with a 'late model' like a 74. Does it even have bushings in it? Heard some don't.

same all along the years for BB and SB

Wow what a mess turned out it was a steel bushing and too long also. Needed the press to get it out never broke one before was seriously worried about the housing shattering!
DSC06101.JPG

:thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup: WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

Yesterday, I got the original distributor for my '74 Charger back that I had sent HALIFAXHOPS last week . I had him replace the upper and lower bushings. When I did the FSM Bushings and Shaft ware test the distributor failed miserably and I needed a good OEM one to serve as timing and trigger for the planned HEI conversion.

Let me tell you all how pleased I am with the work Ray (HALIFAXHOPS) did!! Not only did he interrupt his Carlisle preparation to get my distributor back to me but the price was VERY reasonable and the outcome near perfect! I redid the test and now have a distributor well within factory specs. Ray went the extra mile in every possible way. He is GREAT to work with, does SUPER job, did even more than I had asked, and the price was more than fair.

That my friends is what I call GREAT SERVICE!!!! THANKS RAY!!!!! :luvplace:

Auto Transport Service
Back