• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 front/rear Sway Bar Recommendations

WheelsOfTerror

Local time
4:42 AM
Reaction score
Hi B body gang,

I have busted my 1974 Dodge Charger SE 400 suspension completely apart in the driveway and am grinding, painting and rebuilding it with the Red Polyurethane rebuild kit from Summit. This is my first time doing a suspension job like this.

I looked into upgrading my sway bars to Hellwig or similar, but the only kit I can find for my model year is from Addco, and claims to be merely a back-to-stock replacement. Has anyone used these kits? Are they worth the $500-600 for front and rear or should I just put the old front one back in and save the money? I don't have a sway bar in the rear yet but unless y'all direct me to a smarter move I'll at least be ordering the Addco one.

As a side note I've upgraded my rear end to a locking Dana 60 out of a '69 Roadrunner- so I'm also wondering if I can get away with a beefier sway bar back there, if compatible. What do y'all think?

What diameter is your current front bar?

The factory put on different sizes based on engine size/weight and if a performance suspension was installed.

Front should always be bigger than rear.

'75-79 Charger, Cordoba, Magnum, etc are nearly the same and interchange...and much more common.
Don't forget to grab the mount plates too.

What diameter is your current front bar?

The factory put on different sizes based on engine size/weight and if a performance suspension was installed.

Front should always be bigger than rear.

'75-79 Charger, Cordoba, Magnum, etc are nearly the same and interchange...and much more common.
Don't forget to grab the mount plates too.

great tip!! thanks! I'll measure it when I'm out there later this evening

Auto Transport Service
Back