• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Road Runner U code

Save it or Pass?

• Total voters

Superbeemike

Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
Found a rare bird while out on vacation today. Happen to be cruising down a rural Nevada highway and saw the remains of a 2 door Mopar down at the bottom of a steep grade. After hiking down to it, here’s what I found. It still has the VIN and fender tag but the original engine, trans, and axle are long gone. My guess it was left to die not long after it was new.

4AE0B0D3-0C70-4CDE-AC7C-E86E38F7FFE6.jpeg EE1FAB02-2ACC-4063-8621-152882283EC2.jpeg

Sucks but its beyond saving.

Too bad. That is a pretty rare car.

If it was a 440, would that not make it a GTX?

If its THE car, pull it outta there, get it on a frame rack. Its looks dry. Plenty of donor cars out there.

If it was a 440, would that not make it a GTX?
Since 72 GTX was not anymore a model on the VIN but a Roadrunner with performance added package. But allways a RoadRunner.

Althought on books the GTX name for the package just appears for 72! dunno on 73/74 still was like that ?

about restore the car... I think the investment will be beyond of the final value "just" for a VIN on a 74

Pull the Tags... keep the memory alive lol

They won’t build another! If it’s solid underneath at least grab it and do something with it, don’t reassign a VIN and tags though.

Beyond fixing imo, but I would drag it home and salvage anything I could. Rearend and some interior stuff is probably good yet.

The only way I THINK it could worth te effort to save it is having a nice car already in hands. And that's just to split on this shell maybe the 70% of the donor car. Thats just being positive on the firewall and floorpans conditions of this one. And you won't get a matching numbers anyway!

It's a nice color combo!

As stated by a few folks already, I believe the 74 Road Runners had an added GTX badge on the hood when they got the 440 engine. There were very few built. Many years ago in the 80s, I had the opportunity to buy one, but I didn't know what it was. I thought some yahoo had stuck some GTX badges on the car afterwards. Years later, I found out how rare the car is.

Having said that, this one looks too far gone to restore. 1970 Hemi Cuda convertible? Sure, save it. But even a rare 74 big block isn't worth that kind of money to basically build a new car from scratch.

You'll spend 3 times the money saving that one over buying one that is done. Not a big money car.
They made 1109 of those in 74 which is kind of rare but doesn't make it real valuable.

Last edited:
This car is as much a part of Mopar history as those Hemi Cudas, probably more because this type of car you would see on the street back then, HemiCudas not so much. Yes it's not worth restoring value wise but I hope someone does save it. Someone with a stash of 74 parts or maybe a few parts cars and capable of doing their own work could do it without being too far upside down on the budget.

Since 72 GTX was not anymore a model on the VIN but a Roadrunner with performance added package. But allways a RoadRunner.

Althought on books the GTX name for the package just appears for 72! dunno on 73/74 still was like that ?

about restore the car... I think the investment will be beyond of the final value "just" for a VIN on a 74
Yes, '72 though '74, it's not a package;
1972Plymouthmodelchanges.jpg

It kind of is a package since it's not a separate car line like an RS VIN car.

72-74 RR/GTX are all RM VIN cars.

I almost bought a 74 RR/GTX sunroof car in 1988 and I knew exactly what it was.

$500.

Didn't buy it because I didn't fit with the sunroof :(

Auto Transport Service
Back