• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Roadrunner - 2006 5.7

Skystutts

Local time
7:07 PM
Reaction score
I realize there are a number of threads relating to putting the 5.7 into B Bodies. I have some specific issues that I need assistance with that aren't covered elsewhere.
I have a 1974 Roadrunner (PS, PB, A/C, Auto Floor Shift).
I acquired a 2006 5.7 (Truck Engine with 60k on it) complete with all wiring, computer, and 5 speed auto transmission. My plan is/was to put the entire unit into the Roadrunner.
There are some problems I'm not sure the best (or most economical) way to resolve.

• K-Frame - Modify existing or Replace everything? Replace the entire unit seems very expensive if it's not necessary. If it is necessary, what kind and from where?
  • Throttle - Of course the 2006 doesn't use a throttle cable. I've read that the 2004 truck uses a cable to a Box and from the box it's electronic. If that is the case, that problem may be solved. Just need to find a 2004 Truck that's junked. OR is there a better solution that I'm not aware of yet?
  • Fuel tank and delivery - What is the bottom line on this. The existing tank is not possible to use is it? Will I have to replace the tank and install a particular tank and pump?
  • Instruments and gauges - These will have to be replaced as well if I go with the the complete assembly I have won't they?
  • Transmission - The Transmission won't fit as the car sits which means I'll have to cut the hump.

Decisions decisions.
I am not restoring to show but to have fun with and drive. The New engine and transmission would be much better for driving but is it worth the trouble? I've read some extensive articles on similar projects into "E" Bodies. However the E is a little different and none of the articles were utilizing the electronic systems.

Is there a better way?

Right now the Car is stripped bare of everything. I'm right in the middle of my restoration project. It's primed and I'm deciding on what engine to put in it.

My options are the 2006 5.7 or a 383. I have both which is why they are my options.

Originally there was no doubt but I'm having doubts now.

Thanks for your help.

I realize there are a number of threads relating to putting the 5.7 into B Bodies. I have some specific issues that I need assistance with that aren't covered elsewhere.
I have a 1974 Roadrunner (PS, PB, A/C, Auto Floor Shift).
I acquired a 2006 5.7 (Truck Engine with 60k on it) complete with all wiring, computer, and 5 speed auto transmission. My plan is/was to put the entire unit into the Roadrunner.
There are some problems I'm not sure the best (or most economical) way to resolve.

• K-Frame - Modify existing or Replace everything? Replace the entire unit seems very expensive if it's not necessary. If it is necessary, what kind and from where?
  • Throttle - Of course the 2006 doesn't use a throttle cable. I've read that the 2004 truck uses a cable to a Box and from the box it's electronic. If that is the case, that problem may be solved. Just need to find a 2004 Truck that's junked. OR is there a better solution that I'm not aware of yet?
  • Fuel tank and delivery - What is the bottom line on this. The existing tank is not possible to use is it? Will I have to replace the tank and install a particular tank and pump?
  • Instruments and gauges - These will have to be replaced as well if I go with the the complete assembly I have won't they?
  • Transmission - The Transmission won't fit as the car sits which means I'll have to cut the hump.

Decisions decisions.
I am not restoring to show but to have fun with and drive. The New engine and transmission would be much better for driving but is it worth the trouble? I've read some extensive articles on similar projects into "E" Bodies. However the E is a little different and none of the articles were utilizing the electronic systems.

Is there a better way?

Right now the Car is stripped bare of everything. I'm right in the middle of my restoration project. It's primed and I'm deciding on what engine to put in it.

My options are the 2006 5.7 or a 383. I have both which is why they are my options.

Originally there was no doubt but I'm having doubts now.

Thanks for your help.

I've seen this done..I have pic's of it for our year car,the problem is my hard drive burned up and I'm still waiting on replacement parts to repair it.I'm not sure if the car is posted on the net or not but I'll do my best to dig up some dirt for you.

That would be great.
I would be most appreciative.

I've seen this done..I have pic's of it for our year car,the problem is my hard drive burned up and I'm still waiting on replacement parts to repair it.I'm not sure if the car is posted on the net or not but I'll do my best to dig up some dirt for you.

Skystutts, I did post in the welcome section and the 383 is a great engine but before giving in to it if you could get the info on this i think your car would be cool with the 5.7 im not trying to make up your mind or anything its just any of the older cars its a little unique if i can word it that way. mine is a 73 Satellite as i mentioned and im gathering parts for my 400 for mine this idea you have sounds pretty cool. Good luck in what ever way you go!

Auto Transport Service
Back