• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 satellite key wont start car

Mopardrt

Local time
3:11 PM
Reaction score
when in the car turn key all the way and nothing.... what could be the problems aside from the neutral saftey switch? we had been missing the main headlight harness and just got one but still no luck

when in the car turn key all the way and nothing.... what could be the problems aside from the neutral saftey switch? we had been missing the main headlight harness and just got one but still no luck

Check the ignition switch under the dash on the column. Also sounds like you need to replace the key switch.

It could be your switch, But i would check all the connections for corrosion, starter relay, solenoid, all ground connections everything... Make sure its all good and clean, grounds are good.. try jumping your starter relay with a screw driver and see if it will turn over, click or anything.. Couple things you could check..

Big issue with these cars is the firewall conntector. Clean that real good. Get a new starter relay. those always go bad. Does it turn over when you jump the relay with a screwdriver?

Big issue with these cars is the firewall conntector. Clean that real good. Get a new starter relay. those always go bad. Does it turn over when you jump the relay with a screwdriver?

yes motor turns over when jumped with a screw driver lights are on in the dash when key is turned but no starting

1) ignition switch is in your column, not on your column under the dash.
2) make sure your fusible link is not fried leading from your starter relay
3) check your connection between your ignition switch and your wiring harness located behind where your column is mounted to the dash... the power wire has a tendency of building up resistance and frying that connector.

If you can turn the motor over with a screwdriver on the relay then did you try to put it in neutral and start it?

if its not in the nss or its wiring (which is what i would suspect first and foremost)

it could be the seatbelt interlock that came on 73 and 74's
is there a small box wired in on your inner fender that has a reset button?
hit that button and see what it does.
or is part of that system missing on your harness?
you can bypass that system in a few ways.. even pull the wires off
the sensor on the seat or jump the yellow wires going into that box
or you can even move a few wires on the bulkhead and eliminate the whole thing
see what any of that does for ya...

Last edited:
5965230-starterwireoninterlock1.jpg

I had this same problem! We also checked EVERYTHING 3 times. It turned out to be the seat belt/ignition cut off system. Only 74s had this stupid thing, I think. There were wires under the bench seat and unless you buckled your seat belt after being seated, it cut off the ignition switch and wouldn't start.
Since I took my bench seat out, I just bypassed it with a push button start under the dash. I had no idea what it was until I was recovering the sun visor and read the instructions on how to start the car. Crazy.

Alex

HEY!!! THATS MY DIAGRAM!!! LOL :headbang:

- - - Updated - - -

if its not in the nss or its wiring (which is what i would suspect first and foremost)

it could be the seatbelt interlock that came on 73 and 74's
is there a small box wired in on your inner fender that has a reset button?
hit that button and see what it does.
or is part of that system missing on your harness?
you can bypass that system in a few ways.. even pull the wires off
the sensor on the seat or jump the yellow wires going into that box
or you can even move a few wires on the bulkhead and eliminate the whole thing
see what any of that does for ya...

just 74s

just a note... if you have the seatbelt warning signal activated, it simply won't start. If you fastened correctly your seatbelt, That's a signal the some sensor on system could fail OR interlock box is gone... which is hard to find ( I KNOW IT )

Begins to press ( or bypass ) the reset button... if doesn't crank that will tell you is an NSS, Tranny linkage, or NSS Harness failure.

reset button works for a while you try to crank untill success... then the RUN circuit will deactivate the reset button

More info with a link to a video at the end:

http://wichargerguy.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=archives&thread=999&page=1#7583

sometimes you can find a bypassed buy dealer interlock blue ( auto ) or white ( manual ) control.

if you want to rid off the interlock system but still keep the warning signals, get an orange ( Canadian ) or green ( 75 and lates ) control box, these were not interlocked.

Last time I checked found a green box on ebay... also a blue box but AMC which I'm not sure is the same code for Mopars ( being for auto ). I think found also a white piece.

If you don't care a $**T the warning signals, simply jum it out the yellow wire at reset button on engine bay ( that will bypass the system )

note: the control box, controls ALL the warning systems, not just seatbelt, also lights on and key in buzzer

- - - Updated - - -

All this $**T talked about the interlock system is just if this is the culprit, but need to locate first if really is

Did you check the wide connector that connects the column circuits to the harness? This was my problem with my 73 with the same symptoms as yours. Sometimes it the easy stuff.... Took me forever to learn that....

good luck!

Yeah my dad finally got it to work, after lots of tinkering it was multiple problems as said by above member posts! thanks for the help guys

Hello 73 satellite new battery ,starter. Headlights and dome lights work but will not crank from ignition switch no dash components working cranks slowly from starter relay jump?

about unworking dash and no crank from key. Check ignition switch plug down the column. Loosen terminals are able to fail up to melt/burn the plug itself

About slow crank.... loosen ground wire ( batt - wire ) to block? Or also positive pole terminal.

Yeah my dad finally got it to work, after lots of tinkering it was multiple problems as said by above member posts! thanks for the help guys

original concept was the driver could not start the car without first pulling on the seat belt. Law enforcement agency complained, thus in the 75 model, the idea or law was deleted. On 74 b body, disconnect the seat belt wire connector. This will override the seat belt interlock system.

Auto Transport Service
Back