• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1978 Dodge Monaco

crsgarage

Local time
3:40 AM
Reaction score
I've recently started working on a 1978 Dodge Monaco that my parents bought in the early '90s. It's been sitting for about 20 years now and until a few days ago wouldn't run at all. I have successfully brought the 318 back to life with the aid of a boat gas tank and some new ignition system parts but once I started checking out the factory tank it appears that sending unit won't allow any fuel to be pumped out of it. I've cleared the lines otherwise and am planning to drop the tank to see just what all is happening with it.

Upon initial investigation it appears that many parts like the sending unit etc are a bit hard to find for this car. It seems that most companies call the "B" body cut off at 76 and go on. My question is what parts if any can be used from other cars. Since It's a body series logic would say that there should be commonality across the product line. As I'm new to classic Mopar I was hoping I can get some feedback from those with much more knowledge.

Also if anyone knows a good place for a drivers side tail light assembly I'm looking for that as well. It has a big hole in it and I'm hoping to do a "rustoration" of sorts. Not perfection but a good solid driver anyway. I used to drive this car as a teenager and it was always so smooth and comfortable. I'd like my kids to get a chance to know what's it's like to ride around in something of that era.

Thanks in advance.

Fuel sender/ https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/fuel-tank-sending-unit/dodge/monaco
Fuel tank. https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/fuel-tank/dodge/monaco
Fuel tank lock ring. https://www.autozone.com/fuel-deliv.../dorman-fuel-tank-lock-ring-579-006/30128_0_0
Fuel tank straps https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/fuel-tank-strap/dodge/monaco

Ok a little confused on the tail light.. Here is one advertised as a Monaco tail light.
But I see others as like Roscos Cop car in the bumper tail light and another with the corner light. So not really sure which one is it.
Tail light used..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Driver-Left-Tail-Light-4-Door-Sedan-Fits-77-78-DODGE-PASS-10056/132870992898?fits=Year:1978|Model:Monaco|Make:Dodge&hash=item1eefba7402:g:ey4AAOSwvytb~vTp

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply!.
I guess perhaps my confusion is that their website says those parts don't fit a 1978 Monaco. I guess you can't really trust those part lookup tools.

that tail light says passenger but looks like it's perhaps a universal part for both sides.

Thanks,

Thank you for the reply!.
I guess perhaps my confusion is that their website says those parts don't fit a 1978 Monaco. I guess you can't really trust those part lookup tools.

that tail light says passenger but looks like it's perhaps a universal part for both sides.

Thanks,
Well you might be correct on that. I went back and typed in the "car im working on" in there then it tells me nothing in that catagory... So now im not sure. YOu might have to pull yours out and look to see if they look like what they offer.

Without having it with me to compare the first link looks like what I think it is and the ebay selector says it fits. This is just the base B Body Monaco, From what I've researched the Royal Monaco wasn't a B Body car so I'm certainly not sure what will fit from one to the other.

Thanks,

Welcome from the show me state!!

crsgarage, You are right. In 78 the Royal Monaco was a C body.Something that Dodge did back then. I believe the "Monaco" took the place of the Coronet in the B body line that year.
Depending where your car was built and sold you can go back a few years when hunting for parts. Most cars that were California were different when it came to all the 70's/80's emission stuff. I believe I got a sending unit for my 79 Cordoba using a 75 listing.

Welcome from NY.
My first car was a 77 fury, so I have a soft spot for your Monaco.
Stick with it.

5E38D209-5F45-430E-9E4D-7E88716F4F04.jpeg
Like these?

That's the style, rarely seen these days in the northeast. Mine had a 360 big holley 2bbl torque flight with trans and power steering cooler and a 9-1/4" rear. It was heavy duty.

Welcome

I have several of these cars. They are hard to get GOOD parts for. There are about 4 different tail light lenses for these. The 75-76 Coronet, The 77-78 Fury, the 77-78 Monaco, and I believe there was an odd one for the first Fury too. They all interchange, but the the cosmetic design varies and the amber area for the turn signal is not on the 75-76. Ebay is getting worse with their constant web "enhancements". Once in a while someone parts out a Cordoba and some of the parts fit our cars, but that's becoming rare. If you have a big block/727 the parts situation is a lot worse. Dash pads and interior parts are impossible to find too.

Auto Transport Service
Back