• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1978 fury pursuit

Nodak

Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
Locally looking at a 78 pursuit was in good shape till recently a fire hit looks to have burnt the interior out rear tires are still up most paint is still on the rear of car front seems like was mostly on outside interior is gone so looking for info how many of these cars were built? Is it worth trying to bring back or is it just a donor car now?

Does it have A38 and E86 codes on the fender tag?

A38 Handling Package:
HD Torsion Bars, Anti Sway Bars, Reinforced Frame, Dana 60 Rear End, Front Disc Brakes.

E86 Package:
440 Engine, Engine Oil Cooler, Power Steering Oil Cooler, Transmission Oil Cooler

I don't know how many were built, but the '78 Fury was a very popular police car.

Interesting article:
https://code3garage.com/virginia-state-police-1978-plymouth-fury-a38/

Maybe @Pete Kaczmarski can answer your question on how many were built.

Last edited:
Does it have A38 and E86 codes on the fender tag?

A38 Handling Package:
HD Torsion Bars, Anti Sway Bars, Reinforced Frame, Dana 60 Rear End, Front Disc Brakes.

E86 Package:
440 Engine, Engine Oil Cooler, Power Steering Oil Cooler, Transmission Oil Cooler

I don't know how many were built, but the '78 Fury was a very popular police car.

Interesting article:
https://code3garage.com/virginia-state-police-1978-plymouth-fury-a38/

Maybe @Pete Kaczmarski can answer your question on how many were built.
Dana 60 in a smogger automatic? I would have thought that the 9.25 was the big rear end by 1978.

The article he posted says '9 1/4', maybe he just took it to mean Dana 60 (which was a 9 3/4 wasn't it?)
It's not Hemi Cuda rare. How bad is it burnt? Did it get hot enough to warp things? Biggest issues I see with the interior being burnt is the loss of police specific equipment like the gauges and seats. And, I believe the wiring harness is police car specific too and different from a standard Fury (I had a '77 GRAN Fury, C-body, and the harness was VERY different from a standard C-body).

A38 Handling Package:

E86 Package:

If it has this stuff its worth restoring if you ask me. Just not financially.

I cannot find the production number doing a quick search but I agree with the comments above, it should be a labor of love. Whatever the car is if thinking about it does not get you excited then move on. This article may be of interest to you.

Muscle for the Man! - 1978 Plymouth Fury A38 pursuit | Hemmings Motor News
The 1978 Plymouth Highway Pursuit Cars were the fastest North American stock production cars according to a book I read about Police Cars.

I'll double check but I do believe it has both tags wish I would of bought it a few years ago before it burnt haven't looked super close at it I would guess harness in interior is toast seems inside got pretty hot rear tires are still up and look good fronts burnt was gonna pike for more information before I dug too deep I was thinking it would be a slow fairly expensive deal to fix if it's even fixable. Is there any place that you can get any harnesses or anything? Or is it just a game of wait till someone sells a different one for a donor? What other cars would share the interior?

The 1978 Plymouth Highway Pursuit Cars were the fastest North American stock production cars according to a book I read about Police Cars.

Dodge Monaco, same thing, just different name. From Car And Driver back in '77

copcar1.jpg

I was thinking it would be a slow fairly expensive deal to fix if it's even fixable. Is there any place that you can get any harnesses or anything? Or is it just a game of wait till someone sells a different one for a donor? What other cars would share the interior?

I doubt much of anything is available for this. For as popular as old cop cars are, its still a 4dr from the smog era. A wrecked one recently sold at an Auction down in TX. If you could find something like that and combine the two, it would make things much easier, but probably not a whole lot cheaper. The differences with the interior are the gauges and I believe the front seat used denser foam for more support (again my limited knowledge is more about C body squads).

Locally looking at a 78 pursuit was in good shape till recently a fire hit looks to have burnt the interior out rear tires are still up most paint is still on the rear of car front seems like was mostly on outside interior is gone so looking for info how many of these cars were built? Is it worth trying to bring back or is it just a donor car now?
Any updates on the car?

Auto Transport Service
Back