• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1978 magnum questions

BeatersRus

Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
so i finally got this fella to let me look at the magnum in his barn
says hell sell it cheap,has a bad p side fender and the front seats are pretty worn out.
has the usual qtr rust but the body seems okay mostly,except for the ugly bumps under the vinyl roof << yay,rust.

heres my question tho,ive owned a bunch of these variations,
but i didnt know they made a magnum with a 318 2 bbl as factory??
its the standard white exterior paint,and red buckets/console interior,but
under the hood the firewall is Black and so is the bottom of the hood.
moving to the trunk lid,the underside is Silver!! and the inside factory overspray of trunk shows silver.
its the original owner and she never had the car painted,soooo im a bit confused by multiple factory colors??

i know its not a rare piece,im just wondering about all the paint oddities and if a 318 was stock for a magnum.
goodies include spare sets of tailites and front headlite covers.
thanks in advance for any knowledge.

Yes they came with a 318 engine. I am parting one that came that way. The color differences are not right as far as I am concerned. Sounds like it has been wrecked and used parts put on. Is the black underhood undercoat?

A 318-2V was the standard & most popular engine.
The 360-2 was next followed by the 4 barrel and the 400.

(No 400 in ‘79 FWIW.)

just to add, there is no way that car left the factory multi colored. it's definitely been pieced together. the wheel tubs in front were black and the rest body color

The nice ones with the right options are hard to find. It took me almost 35 years for another '79 G.T., T-tops w/E-58 option.

100_0381.JPG

Yes they came with a 318 engine. I am parting one that came that way. The color differences are not right as far as I am concerned. Sounds like it has been wrecked and used parts put on. Is the black underhood undercoat?
thats what i thought,but its obvious its never been wrecked and its deffo some factory something.
none of the wiring is oversprayed and its factory paint,not undercoat.
thanks for the info,the 318 threw me,i thought they only put 360- or 400 in the magnums.

So then yours is a 1978? The midway rub add on strip on my car is gone now and the doors were then painted last year. The removal of the add on vinyl roof and repaint the rest of the car will be done this spring.

100_0408.JPG

The previous owner ordered them from Sema show about twenty years ago. They were custom made. Can you post pictures of your car.

Auto Transport Service
Back