• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1979 Canadian Magnum GT?

musqlar55

Local time
8:00 PM
Reaction score
Was there such a thing as a 1979 Dodge Magnum GT exported to Canada? I just looked at 1 with the speedo in KM with the MPH inside the circle. Thanks.

I think they were made for only 2 years with that GT package and the XE package and some were made in Canada. They are rare, only about 2000 of those made I think. Someone else may know more on this.

The amount of GT Magnums currently escapes me but yes, they are a 2 year run car/name plate. My Magnum is made in Canada.
:thumbsup:

Exported to Canada? I doubt it but it is possible that it could have happened.

Is the plant VIN digit "R"?

That's the 7th digit.

Is the plant VIN digit "R"?

That's the 7th digit.

Yes, the R is for the Windsor plant in Ontario, Canada.

Was there such a thing as a 1979 Dodge Magnum GT exported to Canada? I just looked at 1 with the speedo in KM with the MPH inside the circle. Thanks.

I'll throw my two cents in here as well. I doubt there was such a thing as a Magnum that was "exported" to Canada. More like the few they made (a little over 25,000) were "imported" to the US. I believe all the Magnums were built at the Windsor, Ontario plant therefore you can't export something into the country that it originated in.

Second part of your question, the Kilometers on the speedometer in Magnums. As I recall, they ALL had KM and MPH on the speedometers regardless of where they were sold new. This is all based on my memory now, since I no longer have my '79 Magnum XE GT that I purchased brand new years ago. Letting it go was a mistake I've had to live with, I do wish I still had it.

79 Magnum Maroney Label w-blackout.jpg
Magnum #03.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back