• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1979 Chrysler 300 production numbers

DeltaV

Endeavor to persevere
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:32 PM
Reaction score
"Beginning in November of 1978 and continuing through to June of 1979, Chrysler Canada's Windsor Assembly Plant built 4,292 units, including 477 for the Canadian market. Overall, 77,334 Cordoba, for both US and Canada, were produced from August 7, 1978 through June 22, 1979."

Ref: page 5 of "1979 CHRYSLER 300 HANDBOOK" by Dale Burkhardt and John Veatch. Copyright 1989 All rights reserved.

=========
So, doing the math, that means 3,815 (4,292-477=3,815) Chrysler 300 models for the US.

"A particularly desirable option on the '79 300 was the T-bar roof. (See Figure 2)
This $674.80 list, $512.85 cost, accessory was installed for the factory by American Sunroof Corporation (ASC) of Southgate, Michigan. The exact number of cars so equipped is not known. Power Sunroofs (which are metal, not glass) and T-bar roofs were sold on 8.8% of '79 Cordobas, leading us to estimate about 380 '79 300s had open-air roofs of either type."

Ref: pages 8-9 of "1979 CHRYSLER 300 HANDBOOK" by Dale Burkhardt and John Veatch. Copyright 1989 All rights reserved.

Below is the Figure 2 mentioned on page 8; and it is found on an unnumbered page in above referenced handbook.

IMG_20180904_211705.jpg

Last edited:
How accurate is that source ? I've heard/read varying numbers over the years. Also, I've heard, but never seen, that there were a few red cars produced ?

All I know is that in the summer of 1979 I went into a Chrysler dealer to buy a brake master cylinder rebuild kit ($7) and there were twelve 300s side by side in the front row. The line-up looked magnificent!

Thanks for the numbers, Yes this is my second Ttop 79 300, owned the first one about 24 years! This one came available and I had acquired many extra parts over the years so I went for it, now have to thin out the herd! My former and current car got to meet last year!

DSCN1396.JPG DSCN1400.JPG DSCN1401.JPG

So out of 380 open air roofs how many were Ttops and how many were Power Sunroofs like mine? That is the question I have been trying to find for a while now. Have seen an article saying only 5 Sunroof cars came to the Canadian market once upon a time.

How accurate is that source ? I've heard/read varying numbers over the years. Also, I've heard, but never seen, that there were a few red cars produced ?

At the bottom of page 19 of the previously referenced 1979 Chrysler 300 Handbook by Burkhardt and Veatch is the following:

"Special Acknowledgements: Gil Cunningham is responsible for saving, and forwarding, the historical inside information on the '79 300. His contribution to this handbook is is immeasurable."

I searched for Gil Cunningham on Google and found him listed under personnel (300 Letter car folks) at:

http://www.chrysler300club.com/homepage/personnel.html

Also, Dale Burkhardt is listed as a consultant for the '79 300. His email and telephone number are provided:

http://www.chrysler300clubinc.com/consultants.html

---------------
I too have heard numerous production numbers for the U.S. market, but never was any substantiation offered as proof. The new car dealer that sold me my '79 300 said only 1,200 cars. Later on, from other people, I heard 2,200 and then I heard 1,500 cars. Still later, I heard 5,000 and then 2,500 cars.

To answer your question about the red ones:

Excerpt from "CHRYSLER 300 DECOR PACKAGE" (Canada market):

"Seven hundred fifty-six A84 cars were assembled - 749 white ones and only 7 red ones."

Ref: page 17 of "1979 CHRYSLER 300 HANDBOOK" by Dale Burkhardt and John Veatch. Copyright 1989 All rights reserved.

To answer your question about the red ones:

Excerpt from "CHRYSLER 300 DECOR PACKAGE" (Canada market):

"Seven hundred fifty-six A84 cars were assembled - 749 white ones and only 7 red ones."

Ref: page 17 of "1979 CHRYSLER 300 HANDBOOK" by Dale Burkhardt and John Veatch. Copyright 1989 All rights reserved.
Thanks, no wonder never seen a red one. Wonder how many are left of those ?

I have been slacking lately on the '79 300 Registry..... I noticed there were a few VINs recently posted and I will add them if they are not there already

Auto Transport Service
Back