• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1979 Magnum GT issues

OKDart

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:01 PM
Reaction score
rsz_img_0654.jpgrsz_img_0652.jpgI just bought a '79 Magnum GT that has been sitting for over 10 years. It has a 360. I did get it running after cleaning out the gas tank and lines. I can't find a source for the filler tube grommet or the sending unit. Would a grommet or sender from another model work? I thought about soaking the old grommet in trans fluid so it swells up and re-seals, but would rather have a new one.

Also when the headlights and key are on, there is a buzzer that stays on. The buzzer is towards the top of the dash left of the column. I also don't have dash lights with the headlights on, don't know if that's related.

Pickup a 78 400-4 from a storage lot 3 months ago. set 10+ years. Stay in touch. I've corrected sheet metal issues. Planning to install a new tank and sending unit from a 74-76 B body to support a dual exhaust tip from a 74 dodge cmagnum in storage 1.jpgmagnum rear in storage 2.jpgmagnum in storage 2 interior.jpgharger Check other write ups on gas tanks to address replacements or repairs. Good luck

- - - Updated - - -

Purchased a 75 Cordoba 400-4 for a parts car to rebuild the Magnum. cordoba driveway.jpgcordoba driveway 2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Magnum in my spare garage magnum in garage 1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Check ebay for a CD "1978 CHRYSLER PLYMOUTH DODGE" for chassis and body and electrical service manual. Cost $20 My tail lights stay on all the time good luck

Look closely at 1974 stuff and see if it looks like your parts.....

That blue Cordoba isn't the parts car is it?

I have looked at 74-up stuff and the sender diameter is smaller where it seals to the tank. The Cordoba sender looks like the same diameter, but is shaped completely different like it mounts in the top of the tank.

If the complete gas tank assembly from a '74 would fit, that would be an option, just trying to keep costs down.

Check Rock Auto for tank seal and sending unit. Check sending unit position by observing final position through tank filler opening. Also do a search on this section on gas tanks. There was a great write up this month on gas tank replacements.

Yes the blue Cordoba is rust free with a 3" x-pipe exhaust system, strong running 400 with bucket seats. I will be parting it out to restore the Magnum.

- - - Updated - - -

OKDART. do you have a Dodge Dart?

1978 git issues

I have a '68 Dart GT

Great color. Noted your rims match, good choice. I also have a 69 GT, body work completed but still needs assembly. Maybe someday I can response with a similar photo. Good luck with the Magnum. send more photos as you make progress. I need the motivation to keep up with your pace of restoration. I have too many projects. The 74 to left of the garage photo need to move forward when I can move the magnum back of the shop.

I pulled the tank on my 79 300. Found out that a grommet for a 88 Dodge Ram Truck is the same.Got it at the local parts store.

There is a guy selling tank units on Epay, I'll have to look up the seller and/or link to the actual auction. I believe the grommets are pretty much universal for any 70's and up Mopar. I have a new one, can't recall who the vendor was. Just type in Mopar fillerneck grommete and viola!

Last edited:
I pulled the tank on my 79 300. Found out that a grommet for a 88 Dodge Ram Truck is the same.Got it at the local parts store.

I ended up using your advice and it worked fine, thanks.

As far as the sender, I bought a cheap one for another vehicle and cut and spliced the 2 to make it work.

Auto Transport Service
Back