• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st of several rear end install novice questions

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
1:16 AM
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help so far. below is the first of several questions to come. I’m swapping a 8.25/ 2:71 gear rear with a 8.75, 489, 3:55 gear with sure grip. It’s my first time doing any differential work but I’m clear on the leaf springs, u joint, shackles, etc. just need guidance on inside components.

1. Do I drive the new inner housing seal all the way to the stop?
2. Rtv around the outside of the inner housing seal or install dry?
3. Do I tighten the axle bolts all the way down with proper torque? In other words does it bottom out?
4. Should the passenger end play adjuster be out or in when I install the axle?
5. Does the driver side axle have to be installed before I set the passenger end play adjustment?
6. I’m sure there will be more. Hints and tips welcome!!

Thanks for all the help so far. below is the first of several questions to come. I’m swapping a 8.25/ 2:71 gear rear with a 8.75, 489, 3:55 gear with sure grip. It’s my first time doing any differential work but I’m clear on the leaf springs, u joint, shackles, etc. just need guidance on inside components.

1. Do I drive the new inner housing seal all the way to the stop? Yes
2. Rtv around the outside of the inner housing seal or install dry? I used a gasket, no RTV, so far no leaks.
3. Do I tighten the axle bolts all the way down with proper torque? Yes, In other words does it bottom out?
4. Should the passenger end play adjuster be out or in when I install the axle? Its attached to the Passenger side axle.
5. Does the driver side axle have to be installed before I set the passenger end play adjustment? Yes, assuming you are sticking with tapered bearings. There is a thrust spacers in the carrier that sits between the axles, as you turn the passenger axle it pushes on the driver side axle. If installing green bearings no adjustment is needed and you remove the thrust spacer.
6. I’m sure there will be more. Hints and tips welcome!!
When installing the axles, wrap the spline with a sheet of printer paper as you slide it past the seal. Those splines are sharp and can cut up the seal.

Driver side axle needs to be in before you can adjust end play on pass side. Don't loose the little puck in the center of the differential that takes up space between the ends of the axles. Not sure of question on adjuster in or out. If referring to spinning the adjuster in or out before sliding axle in - probably doesn't matter but I would spin it outward (to create large end play) so the pass side axle can be solidly bounced against the driver side to seat it against it's retainer plate so accurate total end play can be measured. Then set up dial indicator and turn adjuster to get to spec. I prefer to use a gasket dressing/sealer of some sort but sort of your preference. From memory I think there is a stop the seal is driven to - not 100% on that but maybe 95%.

1. Do I drive the new inner housing seal all the way to the stop? Yes, it needs to sit in a certain place on the axle. Be careful when installing the modern seals, the tension spring will pop off and end up in the center section.
2. Rtv around the outside of the inner housing seal or install dry? I have always used Permatex brown gasket sealant.
3. Do I tighten the axle bolts all the way down with proper torque? In other words does it bottom out? Yes and there are two different flange seals for each side
4. Should the passenger end play adjuster be out or in when I install the axle? Loosen the adjuster
5. Does the driver side axle have to be installed before I set the passenger end play adjustment? yes and you can use the depth part of calipers to get the end play.
All the above changes if you use the green bearings.

Driver side axle needs to be in before you can adjust end play on pass side. Don't loose the little puck in the center of the differential that takes up space between the ends of the axles. Not sure of question on adjuster in or out. If referring to spinning the adjuster in or out before sliding axle in - probably doesn't matter but I would spin it outward (to create large end play) so the pass side axle can be solidly bounced against the driver side to seat it against it's retainer plate so accurate total end play can be measured. Then set up dial indicator and turn adjuster to get to spec. I prefer to use a gasket dressing/sealer of some sort but sort of your preference. From memory I think there is a stop the seal is driven to - not 100% on that but maybe 95%.
what is the puck? What does it look like? I have sure grip and all I see is a silver bottom behind the splines in the center of the diff.

what is the puck? What does it look like? I have sure grip and all I see is a silver bottom behind the splines in the center of the diff.
The puck(s) float in the center and gives the axles something to push against on each side. They look different according to the type of sure grip you have. You can actually move them with a broomstick and look at the other side.

The "button" or "puck" is just a spacer that sits in the differential center. If yours is there you can't see through from one side to the other where the axles slide in. If it's missing you can see right through the center.

D80D6AC5-AA27-47A0-B81F-98718CA2E065.jpeg
1F1F45BC-C953-4087-9674-AADF98CB2F19.jpeg
A3AE05A0-1648-4932-9744-F5BE8471DB9B.jpeg
The "button" or "puck" is just a spacer that sits in the differential center. If yours is there you can't see through from one side to the other where the axles slide in. If it's missing you can see right through the center.
10-4. This is my 489 sure grip with 3:55 gears. Looks like I’m good.
D80D6AC5-AA27-47A0-B81F-98718CA2E065.jpeg
1F1F45BC-C953-4087-9674-AADF98CB2F19.jpeg
A3AE05A0-1648-4932-9744-F5BE8471DB9B.jpeg

Yep.. make sure it looks the same from both sides, generally two pieces, one in from each side.

Actually it's a cone clutch unit and it has a single piece center thrust button or puck or spacer and it cannot come out unless you take the whole unit apart. The clutch plate unit has a 3 piece center thrust pin which consists of two buttons and a roll pin that hold them together in the middle and those can come out pretty easily at times.

LLl

Looks like the Borg Warner unit to me that came out in 69. Need to get off this stupid phone and look at a picture of it on my big monitor

That looks like an aftermarket unit.
Does look a bit different than the ones I have now that I'm looking at something other than a mini screen. Would like to see more pics of it at different angles....

Actually it's a cone clutch unit and it has a single piece center thrust button or puck or spacer and it cannot come out unless you take the whole unit apart. The clutch plate unit has a 3 piece center thrust pin which consists of two buttons and a roll pin that hold them together in the middle and those can come out pretty easily at times.

LLl

The only one I've seen with the slide in puck have been Eaton units. On the clutch type, the center is a 3 piece cross (I broke one which is how I know lol).

On the inner seals, wipe grease on the inner springs to keep them in place before driving them in.

The only one I've seen with the slide in puck have been Eaton units. On the clutch type, the center is a 3 piece cross (I broke one which is how I know lol).

On the inner seals, wipe grease on the inner springs to keep them in place before driving them in.
Do I put bearing grease or gear oil on the seal and axle when installing the axle?

Does look a bit different than the ones I have now that I'm looking at something other than a mini screen. Would like to see more pics of it at different angles....
41819B0E-FC2C-44BF-AE7A-539A6AD17997.jpeg
6796A52B-B75F-46C6-9A95-55123C35034B.jpeg

Get a factory service manual. Then read it. Then ask questions if you still need to. You will be happy you did

Auto Transport Service
Back