• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st time results of HEMI at track

Mike Gaines

Local time
4:00 AM
Reaction score
I only made 3 passes before they threw me out (lol) for going under 10.00 without a license.
Note:
On none of the runs did we have decent 60' time because the wheels on the wheelie bars were not set at the correct height so we were not getting the right results from that but we didn't really care as we just wanted to see what the car would do initially. Tire pressure was also off as we ended up on run 3 at 10.5lbs and after these initial runs we determined it should be @ 9lbs. I also launched at only 2500rpm off the foot brake not using the transbrake and not launching at the correct 5000rpm off the transbrake. I shifted on all the runs at only 6500rpm on both 1-2 and 2-3, not 7700 to 8000 where the motor really starts making its true power. I also had the ET Genie Variable Restrictor Plates set to reduce the airflow under both Dominators to only 50% of flow.
All that being said here are the results.
Run #1 (Drive thru check out run only)
10.702 @ 118.19 with a 1.436 60'
Run #2
10.046 @ 140.04 with a 1.462 60'
Run #3
9.88 @ 146.52 with a 1.430 60'
I was ok with the results as the car went straight with no fishtailing, drifting, steering wheel vibration etc. At speed the car was rock solid and gave me no concern whatsoever. The car stopped just fine and no issues with the brakes.
I went into the water box at 150 degrees, on the start line at 170 degrees and went thru the lights at 180 degrees and never got over 190 degrees on the return drive to the time slip shack and back to my pit area.
Looking forward to the next outing where I can get my license and run it wide open.
Looking to go deep into the 8's at close to or over 160mph with 60' times in the high 1.20's at least.

40.jpg 41.jpg 42.jpg 44.jpg

Wow, just WOW!
The Hemi A body '68 cars that I've seen run in SS/A like this:
Screenshot_20191115-072924_Gallery.jpg

They run 8s, usually 8.4
So I don't know how much your car weighs, or what the restrictions are on the SS/A cars are (the ones I saw didn't look too "restricted") but MAN! that is moving out!
Congratulations!

Flying! Congrats, and good luck getting your license! Can you send some engine shots? That's quite the intake manifold.

Flying! Congrats, and good luck getting your license! Can you send some engine shots? That's quite the intake manifold.
...never mind. I saw your other post. Didn't realize that was you. LOL

That should put a smile on your face

NICE. THAT'S freakin' flyin'. I hope you beat the Chevelle, lol. I like the name of the car too!:thumbsup:

congrats finally dipping into the 9's

good luck on future outings too

I'm sure there's more in it too, lower ET's to come

have fun

Beautiful car Mike, nice going first time out. I'm sure you learned a lot and the car went straight down the track.

Going 8s isnt as easy as you think.
I personally think you get low 9s at 145mph.
Unless that a legal SS hemi.
There is no reason to shift that hemi any higher than 7400 rpms.
What heads are on it?

Very nice for first time out. I believe high 8s are possible.

Going 8s isnt as easy as you think.
I personally think you get low 9s at 145mph.
Unless that a legal SS hemi.
There is no reason to shift that hemi any higher than 7400 rpms.
What heads are on it?
Stage 5 heads that flow 540. The motor made the most HP on the dyno at above 8000rpm.
Big Motor (572), Big Heads, big roller cam, 14.5-1 pistons.
I personally guarantee anyone that this sled will go deep into the 8's when I get it dialed in and opened up.

Auto Transport Service
Back