• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Time Using 10 Deg Valve Locks Question

70rcode

Local time
11:49 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys,... Trying to get my new P5153779 bare alum heads ready & asking Anyone have any good or bad issues or comments with Comp 10 Deg Superlock 5/16" 610 Locks & 740 Retainer combo with Manley valves G2 Hemi application ? ....Also, my std Hemi 0.200" tip length valves always run Real close to Retainer tops..... Anyone else notice that & will 0.250" Tip valves correct that Without causing other drivetrain issues ? Thx for any help..

I'll only say that when I had the springs, locks, and retainers all swapped out on stock 452 RB heads because the springs were weak from age/wear, I got with CompCams and I got everything from them, installed cheap by a friend who owns a local shop, and they work great.
I'm going to ask a question that the answer should be "no" but I'm not sure:
Is there anything involved in going from stock 7° locks to 10° locks other than the locks themselves? Nothing was said to me by the shop, but I don't know much and it seems like the groove in the valve stem the lock engages with may have to be compatible??
I hope the OP doesn't mind my questions.
:thankyou:
If you go to a 10° lock you would need 10° retainers so you don't have a 3° difference between the two.

Hey Charger.....10° locks won't begin to fit 7° stock retainers,....If shop did work & running good, you most likely have matched locks--retainer pairs of some common size...

Although the new 10° Lock &: Retainer fit good without any wobble, ...Without valve spring & Retainer hand pulled tight against valve Locks the retainer drops away when retainer is released where all my Stock (7°) stay stuck tight ! ....Is that normal ?

I would say it is normal as 10* has less wedging action.

If I am reading post #4 correctly, that 10* hardware was used with the 292/509 cam then that is overkill.

Sorry no,...Posts #2 thru #5 have nothing to do with OP's topic question....The 10° hardware came with a new 264 (.050)/.605 FTS cam kit & my 1st 10° parts fitment experience compared to more familiar 7° wedge locking.

Although the new 10° Lock &: Retainer fit good without any wobble, ...Without valve spring & Retainer hand pulled tight against valve Locks the retainer drops away when retainer is released where all my Stock (7°) stay stuck tight ! ....Is that normal ?

I wouldn't run them unless they lock together.

The 10° locks are now fitting tight & correctly locking as they should....I just didn't have that 1st pair inserted correctly.....Thx for help,...tom

Auto Transport Service
Back